Driveway entrance pillars/walls?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive seen these a lot lately. I have a client looking for ~20' walls on each side of her driveway with two 6' pillars. Im planning to have a 4x4x6ft pillar on each side set off the road itself, with a wall that starts from 5' and tapers in 1 or 2 steps to 2' by the tail end. They want their house number in a fancy sign mounted to the side of it when its finished.

Ive done walls and pillars but never "designs" for both especially for a driveway entrance. Anyone have pictures or ideas you could post? I drew up an idea of how it could look but i know some of the other hardscapers have done some pretty fancy ones, which I'm thinking is more what theyre looking for. Lighting will be added to the sides of the walls and top of each pillar too. thanks

2. Ramairfreak98ss

I know some of you guys have done a ton of these, no pictures of the fancy ones?

3. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ram I could draw ya up some plans but Id have to charge ya! Your gonna need plans and permits anyways if its gonan be any cmu block.

4. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

go to my website www.hiltonconcrete.com we did a nice entrance way when we were done they installed lights and landscaped

we did not do the pavers in the front!

5. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

MHILTON... Great work wish I knew more about concrete but it seems hard to learn find info. Most of what I do is for self, family, etc. I get tired of the plain bushed finish.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Well ill let you know if we get to the point that he wants something above what im looking into. Its just Rinox wall block, they sell pillar kits which you can mix up however you want and wall stone which integrates into it for a nice finished look. Ill keep it in mind though.

Hilton, thats some nice looking stuff! the pic on your first page looks neat too. Im looking into larger pillars since they want the option to upgrade/add driveway gates at a later time or to another owner if they decide to sell the house in the next 10 years or sooner, i would buy it myself it i had another 2.x million laying around :p

7. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

Yeah well if you had 2 mill laying around you prob would not be installing the pillars. Those pillars in the pic are 3 x 3 They are thinking about putting a gate in as well so there is electric all ran to them and I reinforced them to take the added strain of a gate sys.
    Thanks send some pics of your work when done

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

from what i understand if your going to be needing the pillars to be structural, you'll want to build it the proper way from the beginning. A standard glued pillar won't hold the weight of a driveway gate without reinforcement. i would just ask your block company for spec/tech sheets on how to do it.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Your right, it would need cement reinforcement between blocks, Rinox uses a small center channel on their block. I will find out anyhow from their Rep on the proper procedure, thanks

10. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

It may need a cement footing with a cement pillar up the center of the pillar. The gate would most likey be supported on that. I would call Rinox and the gate manufacturer. Seriously though why not sell them some cmu with stone work?Ad some lights on top? Bluestone or limestone caps? A higher end customer will want that unique look for there home. Plus it will drive more potential customers to look at your work then just wall block.