1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Estimate ?Help.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Oct 3, 2004.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, Im From Maryland and a customer of mine wants me to install a gravel driveway on a flat section of ground. I was going to use a counter sunk 6x6 retainer around the outside.

How thick of a gravel base should i use. Im using about 1/2 inch gravel.

Also is a 4 to 6 inch base of CR6 (crush and run) needed below the driveway?

the driveway is 780 sq feet. 30 long x 26 wide

I have an ez - dumper so delivery of the gravel will be easy
    thanks alot
  2. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

What's the soil like ?
  3. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

The soil is very packed clay. As they have been parking there for several years. Its grass now

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Typically, the driveway will need to be cut out (excavated) to allow the gravel to be at or slightly above grade when it is installed. Usually this is done with either a smaller bulldozer or a skidsteer, depending on how long and wide the drive is.

The most common way of installing drives is to use a base of #2 rock, with 53's over the top. #2's are little smaller than rip-rap, usually ranging in size from 3-5 inches, IIRC. 53's are stones ranging from 3/4-1" down to dust. Once the base is excavated, it probably should be compacted. The 2's are usually spread and driven on for several weeks while the house is being built to pack them in, though you could compact them to cut down on overall time. The layer of 2's should be probably 4-6" thick, but I'm not sure on that figure. The 53's are probably 4-6" thick as well.

The other way to go about it, and probably the better way as far as long-term is concerned, it to use geo-textile in place of the #2's. The 2's will eventually settle and cause perennial potholes, the geo-textile eliminates this. Plus, it's less excavation, so less soil to contend with.

5. activelandscaping

I would recomend using a Geo-fabric between the sub-grade and the sub-base. A heavy clay enviornment, compacted or not, is highly elastic and you will probably get soil pumping into your sub-base. ;)

I will provide a link below, try to ignore the fact that it's a brittish site. I would concentrate on the sections that deal with " flexible paving " and proper sub-base installation. :)

Flexable paving link

Best of luck,
    Jim L
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well first off rethink that 1/2 inch stone. That stuff can easily get caught in your shoes and tires and before ya know it theres stones all in the house and all over the road and you'll be restoning the drive. I would put a 2 inch Q.P. base down, compact that then use a 2 inch top coat of 3/4 clean which should also be run over with a compact or vehical a couple of times.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

The clay in Annaoplis area isnt too bad , you should be fine digging out the dirt , putting in 4 to 6 inches of CR6 , compacting that , and then topping it off with your stone of choice.
    The price is revelent to what you do , how much dirt you move and haul and how much you want to make.
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you are using clean (washed) gravel, all gravel will have 1/2" and smaller stone in it. If it's dusty gravel, and it's packed well enough, it won't be a problem.

It doesn't get caught in the tires enough to be noticeable here, and we don't really track much into the house, unless it's been raining. Of course, shoes come off at the door 95% of the time anyway, so it's a non-issue here. If you're that worried about it, get a good doormat.:rolleyes:

9. activelandscaping

I was wondering if your customer had a price range for this work, or if you had given them a rough estimate yet ?
    Sometimes it helps to ask them if they have any pictures/places of what they have in mind. There have been numerous occasions where the customer and I discussed exactly what they wanted and when I showed them a couple of pictures, based on their specifications, I got the good old " That's not what I had in mind at all ". I allways try to keep in mind that customers want to appear knowelgeable and will sometimes use terms, usually to describe materials, that are incorrect. I had one customer ask me how much " peat stone" I was going to use under the drive, anouther cusomer asked if I was going to use a humper truck to get the " 21AA cement " into the pool area.

does anyone know where I can get some " peat stone " , I don't even want to know what a " " humper truck " is.;)

Jim L