Driveway Estimate

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cddva, Dec 2, 2006.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

What would you charge to cut-in a new gravel driveway? Here's some particulars: It's about a 200 ft x 14 ft run through a wooded area however there are no trees to be cut down. Just some small stumps to be uprooted, old branches and underbrush to be cleared out and placed off in the woods. Level out the area ( it's a fairly flat run). If the dump truck drivers are not willing to go in and dump/spread the gravel due to soft ground conditions, then I would move and spread the gravel. Also, the homeowner is having a galvanized culvert drain pipe delivered. I may have to do some prep for placing it and covering it near the street entrance. Question on installing a culvert drain pipe; does the installation of one normally require a permit? This driveway is intended as a temporary construction access to the backyard for the installation of an in-ground pool in the Spring (by others). I would appreciate hearing your estimates and any advice/insight you may have to offer.
  2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few more details that need to be covered.

How far do you have to drive to the job?

How far down are you going to cut?

Are you paying for the stone and delivery?

Do you have to move the dirt to a certain spot in the woods, or are you just windrowing it out of the drive area?

What are you using to cut the drive with?

A dozer would work best if you have one. If you cut out the entire driveway first, and then have the dump trucks start backing in off the road and dumping, they should have no problems getting back there. Just grade down the stone after each truck load comes in, and have the next truck run on the previous loads. If you have to push it all from the road, that would definetly affect the price. I would check with zoning and planning on a permit for the culvert pipe. I'm sure they will need one for the driveway. Better safe than sorry. The pipe shouldn't be a big deal to install.

Figuring that you'll probably cut down 8", more by the street, and if you just windrow the dirt out of the drive area, install the culvert pipe, and grade the stone (assuming the trucks back up to the end of the stone), I would charge somewhere around $800.00. I am also assuming that you would not have to wait for the trucks for a long time between loads too.

If you have to supply the stone and delivery, that's obviously another story. You'll probably need around 100 tons if you go around 8" deep. If the wooded area is pretty wet you'll need to go deeper and you'll need more stone.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If this is only a temporary road why are you going through the trouble of installing a culvert ?

If the road is perminant then your going to have to have a regulation sized culvert pipe it has to be so many feet wide it has to be at the right depth with enough material over top to prevent it colaspsing.

Personally I don't like galivinized culverts go to a scrap yard and find yourself a 10 or 12' long something in the 20" diameter range steel pipe its cheaper. If the ditch has lots of flow to it a steel pipe doesn't build up dirt and clog up end up flooding the ditch and washing out the driveway.

Why does the road need to be 14 feet wide most driveways installed here are barely 10' wide maybe 9' wide.

The underbrush should be piled up and burned don't leave it in the woods it looks awfull also if you ever have a forest fire that stuff is going to burn and spread. As for road base why spend a bunch of money on gravel if its going to be a tempory road try use the existing dirt and bring in rock to firm up the surface if needed.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Around here we used recycled concrete for temporary roads.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The culvert is probably spec'd by the county. Around here, construction entrances (off county roads) need to have a 20" culvert and the installation must be approved by a county inspector before hand via permit. I would check to see if your area is the same before you get started.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to meantion that but you have to be carefull about using concrete rip rap if your near a creek etc. Around here the gov't enviromental guys don't like the concete dust washing into streams and creeks. Their reason is the dust is acidic same with crushed rock that isn't washed.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here in Georgia if it is on a state highway it must be permited and meet there guide lines.

Being a temp drive it should not take long with a large size skid steer.

I prefer too spread the gravel with a box blade behind my tractor.

I would guess 2 to 3 hours machine time on the road and maybe an hour spreading the gravel.

I would guess 500 dollars labor sight unseen to be the absolute min with excellent digging conditions.

1000 dollars plus materials would be ideal.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You guys need to get some good truckers at the pits, Most of the truckers I've worked with can tailgate gravel with an inch or so of being to grade. Very little machine work left after that.