Driveway re-level quote

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PlatinumLandCon, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been approached by a friend who's 8 year old interlock driveway is starting to sag in the tire tracks and starting to look bad. The same company did 27 of the 81 houses on his street within a year of the houses being built. Now they're all looking bad.

Basically its a 25x40 driveway with a walkway coming off it. I'm guessing since the driveway is so new, the base is crap meaning i'll have to go down a good 8" and correct it. My question is, should i replace the base material or re-compact what's already there? Also, what do you guys quote for a 1000sq ft driveway?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Re level work is not cheap. It is more work than a new install due to lifting the pavers, cleaning them off and stacking them.

Figure how long it will take, and price based on man hours. If you re-compact, figure it will take 3 men about 2-2.5 days depending on how good they are at the base prep part.

3. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

here i alberta we would charge somewhere around 22,000-25000 for a job like that for new bricks and to redo using old pavers carge another 1500 this pricing is edmonon

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a nightmare.

5. PlatinumLandCon

Hello everyone,
    I visited the site and the area that the cars park on is only about 20'x25'. The rest of the area is either the walkway or seperated by the sidewalk. I'm going to only do this area. What do you think base material will cost for this area if i go the full 10" deep? I was thinking $10/sq foot plus materials to price it. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Too low? Too high?

Thanks.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't you just lift old damaged section and sand, add screenings/modified in low areas, re-tamp VERY WELL, sand and lay back down? The areas where it settled will not likely settle much more.

If you can figure out a reasonably quick/inexpensive way to fix, you could be in for a good bit of work in this neighborhood!

I guess you cant simply re-tamp the high areas with the pavers where they are?

7. PlatinumLandCon

I don't kno if this is an option. It is tru that the settled areas won't setle much more. I'll have to remove a few bricks and see how the base is.

Not possible. This will just make the driveway too low.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

musclecar have you done this before?

the easy way is to just lift the low parts and add a little more sand - I am assuming its only rutted about 1".

its rutting most likely because not enough base was used, I would use 14" depending on the soil, more if clay.

if your talking 2, 40' long tire tracks 1' wide get a yard of sand and spend 8 hours with 2 guys fixing it - $1000.

9. PlatinumLandCon

That's what has been suggested but do you thing this will have long term durability?

What I was thinking is remove the bricks, remove the sand and 1-2" of gravel, add gravel back level again, use geo fabric (suggestions? should i do this??), add 1" sand, re-lay bricks, compact, joint sand, finish.

Sound good?

10. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hey new to this sight. Hello everyone. Just wanted to say that I have done this before and as others here have stated, its more of a headache than actually starting from scratch. And even if you think you've done enough to sure it up, unless you really to the bottom of the base and essentially start from scratch all over there is always the chance it may happen again. And guess what now his is pissed at you. My own opinion, I would say thank you for giving me the work, but no thanks.