Driveways and foundations, same sealer?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Dynamic, Aug 8, 2008.

1. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I have a Protect unit and like it alot.

My question is with a 5.5 Honda and an Albany pump spraying Blackmac what pressure (psi) should I be running at the wand? I currently don't have a gauge but am thinking about putting one in.

2. Pro-Tect

Pro-Tect LawnSite Member
    from Cobourg

The pressure at the tip is probably around 300 to 350 psi. And there really is no need for a pressure guage on one of these units. You just set the pressure so that there is a nice even spray the the wand does not lift to much when you hit the trigger.

3. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

Thank you for the information, I am sorry for any missunderstanding. It is good thing you cleared that up because I had the wrong idea. So I should be able to switch to the sealer at your lakeshore location with no problem, that is good to know, thanks again.

4. Pro-Tect

Pro-Tect LawnSite Member
    from Cobourg

It is the exact same stuff. And they are cheaper than anyone except the Cobourg location.

5. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

I have a pressure gauge on my system and I use around 300 psi. It also depends on the weather and time of day.

To be honest I don't use the gauge that much I look pay more attention to how my system is spraying.

6. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Run at a pressure that gives you a good spray. I have a pressure gauge on mine and I run at 50 to 100psi

7. RALENT

RALENT LawnSite Member

Blackmac and foundation coating are not the same. Foundation coating or dampproofing is usually a blended asphalt product which contains rc30 Based asphalt and Blackmac. The penatration of this product is slightly less than pure Blackmac.

8. RALENT

RALENT LawnSite Member

Most sealing units have presure gauge connected at the out let side of the pump. For the optimal spraying of Blackmac the pressure should be 400 to 450 psi and the tip size in hot weather should be no bigger than an 8002 tjet tip.

9. Pro-Tect

Pro-Tect LawnSite Member
    from Cobourg

your right there is a difference but the difference is extremely minute. I have customers that use the blackmac for driveways and basements. I have never said you can or can't use blackmac for foundations I just know that some people do it.

10. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you supposed to know the psi for the blackmac unit? When its only a little lever that you twist up or down. Do you think adding a real psi gauge to the unit will work? Or will black mac clog it up so it wont work? Also could you add a Fill Rite liter gauge to the unit, so I can calculate the exact amount of liters/gallons I'm putting down?