1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Driving a ZSpray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sclawndr, Oct 17, 2007.

1. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Zspray owners - I have very little experience on zero turn equipment but when I demoed a Zspray, it sure seemed like a struggle to drive. It was a little twitchy, the caster wheels always seem to be headed in the wrong direction and you come to the most abrupt stop you've ever seen if your hand slips off the controls. All in all, it wasn't a smooth experience. Do the controls soften up over time? Any tips on dealing with the caster wheels?
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You will be an expert after a few hours! don't worry about the casters they will go the right direction! zero turns are really touchy but after you get more comfortable they are a piece of cake!!
  3. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It takes a bit to master. When I trained my guys to use one, we started in a parking lot following the lines. Once you can do that, we practice spraying w/ water and working the hopper control, still in the parking lot. The first actual job is usually something big and square, easy to do. After a day, you'll be a pro :)
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

like indy and forever green said it just takes time to get used to it ..don't worry about the caster they will go where they need to
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I run it at the lowest possible RPMs that you need to maintain the application speed you want. That way the hydraulics are less "twitchy". When you want to haul arse, you speed up the motor. Also the casters never steer anything. The drive wheels do that, so it ought not matter which way they happen to be pointed. They will straighten out.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

On the ocntrary, the z spray is a very smooth, very easy to drive machine. You are just a rookie driver. Having logged over a thousand hours on this type of equipment I cant really remember it not being second nature to drive. When you do get experienced you will be able to drive with one hand and use the hopper or spray controls with the other.
  7. KJC

KJC LawnSite Member

FYI - If anyone's interested, I decided to sell my Z-Spray that I just bought new 3/30/2007. It only has around 50-75 hrs. on it. I'll post it on the equipment for sale page soon.

36" Z-Spray Jr. 15HP Kawasaki engine, 18 gal. liquid capacity, 200lb fert capacity, 50' hose reel
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I tested a Z-spray for the first time recently. As far as steering or going in straight lines, it was just like a zero-turn mower. I bought a JD 727-A zero-turn mower a couple years ago to mow my lawn & the shop. At first, I kept running into things and mowed in crooked lines, and I was scared. Nowadays, I mow in very straight lines, and I can maneuver around obstacles with precision. I am still considering buying a Z-Spray cuz I know how much productivity they have. Quality machines that last.
  9. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. A straight line on a flat yard was a challenge. I'm not one to try to work out the bugs on a customer's lawn, mostly because I don't want to look like an idiot. Driving in the parking lot is one thing but driving on a bumpy lawn is quite another. I've had a lot of PGs and despite their drawbacks, the one thing you can say with certainty is that they're easy to drive. You get better as you use the PG but you start out a lot farther along the learning curve. Still, I'm asking everyone about the ZSpray because I'd definitely like a machine where the engine doesn't rot out every year and that actually has a brake that works.
  10. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Get the z-spray!
    Just do it.

I got my z-max 3-4 years ago?
    After a very short time, it became a real extension of my body and operating is just second nature.

I used a pg too.

Get the z.

I pull an aerator with it too.
    can you do that with a pg?