1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Driving distance- how far do you go?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was curious how far you guys will travel to do a job (in miles). You can include minutes but this is not a good indicator if you live in a high traffic area.

Also , do you increase your rate after you reach a certian distance?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i live kinda centered in between 4 townships. i will go up to 17-18 miles in a need to situation. further if theres a tree leaning or somthing. these would be for customers relatives etc.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The most distant lawn I have is 14.7 miles away.(20 minutes-no traffic) It's a 4 acre farmette that pulls in close to $200 a visit. There are 4 regular lawns on that route that I hit on the way there.

The second most distant is 6.6 miles away. There are 2 together, and one across the street.

The rest of mine are all withen a 3.5 mile radius, with 12 being withen 1 mile.

Pretty tight group.

In my area, if your driving, you'll most likely be sitting in traffic between 6-9AM and 3-7PM, so planning around that is paramount.
  4. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I try to stay within 3 miles of home and havent ever really had to go outside that area.

I do have a lead on 3 installs that are about 40 miles away (1 hour driving) and in my estimate I charge my normal rate for the travel time.

If I do this job I will also charge for the estimate upfront.
  5. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Most of mine are withen a 20-30 mile radius and there are a few i charge a little more on just for the distance but the customers don't seem to mind, By the way Washington DC, Union Station in 28 mile from my driveway to the station. Used to play with trains before i left to start my lawn business.

Steve :rolleyes:

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

95% of my accts are within a 2 mile radius. I've been in this biz for 15 years, so my route is very tight.

7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

A 25 mile radius is about my limit right now. Most of the good commercial accounts that I have are right on that fringe. The bulk of what I do is within 15 miles or so of where I live.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

5 miles either way
  9. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

5 miles thats it? how many house's are in a mile strech for ya?

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a few people living around here ... 3.5 miles from Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach .... We have the Shuttle program here, Port Canaveral, Patrick Air Force Base, Sea Ray Boats .... the Tourist Industry .... so needless to say we also have +2,000 lawn monkeys here too!

I went to school in Mt Vernon n lived in the DC area for 15 years cutting lots of grass up that way ....lots of homes n business in Fairfax