1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drooping Crapes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HOMER, Jul 29, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have noticed several Crape Myrtles that are drooping, some are straight and the blooms are full. The drooping Crapes are not blooming at all......................why? I pruned the suckers off of several today and also wondered if I cut the old bloom off if it would generate another.

Any Crape experts out there?
  2. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Usually Crapes droop only when they need water.. is this possible?
    I have never seen a sick Crape except leaf mold, but that is obvious.
    Sometimes you can prune a Crape after blooming and it will have a new flush of blooms later in the year. But usually it will not do anything, Crapes Bloom on new growth wood, so it really depends on when you cut back(now) and the weather a couple months from now.
    Lots of words but no sound advice, Sorry and Good Luck
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

There ain't been a lack of water around here for a while thank God. I've seen some standing straight as an arrow and others look like the have a complex of some sort. I think this fall when I trim them I will only cut off the seed pod and let the brances strengthen up. Most folks cut them all the way down to the knuckle and I followed suit. I may not do anything to some and check the difference next year.
  4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like disease. Cheak cat alerts for your area, if possible send in a sample for testing.

Good Luck,
    Jim L