Drop axle info

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by toomuchtime, Sep 1, 2013.

1. toomuchtime

toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member

Im getting ready to add a drop axle to my 10 wheeler here in Ca. Im looking for info from those who have them weather to go steerable or fixed. The axle placement will be next to the tandems. Im thinking fixed but would like some insight to those that have ran them.

Thanks

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how your road laws work there but here in Ontario Canada standard push axles are not allowed on trucks anymore. The guys who already have them are fine but any new registered trucks must have a self steer push axle or a full time twin steer axle.

I have a self steer push axle on the roll off and it is fine because 99.9% of the time it is on the road, if you happen to go off road and have some type of ridge or bump that will turn or hang up the axle ( by steering the tire sideways) you will either get stuck or possibly break something. For this reason I am looking for a twin steer dump, but they are really hard to find here quite yet.

A plus of the self steer push axle is that you don't have to worry about your driver leaving the axle down when they go around corners and eventually causing damage.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Get steerable

4. toomuchtime

Steer axle seems like the way to go. Im looking to do a 19.5 rim on it so when its up its out of the way offroad. California has some weird bridge laws . lol . Gvw on my truck from the factory is 66000 as a 10 wheeler but cali bridge laws state i can only put 52500 on it . I think im going to do a 13.5k axle as it really not going to have alot of weight on it.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea we have similar laws. I have a drop on my Mack, by the time you add the weight of the drop, it really doesn't add a lot capacity. I can bridge just a bit more than you (about 54000).

6. toomuchtime

it will only add about a 2 tons to the capacity for bridge but it changes the pay scale when I am trucking. Kss is your axle steerable?

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been going through this for years with these weights laws... I just bought a triaxle dump truck and my gvw is 51,000 :cry:.. legally i can only haul like 13 ton which is a complete joke... I have a steerable lift axle good thing i do because i was told come 2015 its going to be mandadory on all dump trucks in nyc

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes mine is steerable, and yes here you get about 10 more an hour when your trucking for someone else.

9. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It's a statewide thing? Clueless big brother is at it again?

10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I applied for a ny state permit and was giving 65,000 gvw.. But found out wonderful news a new york state permit means nothing in nyc!!!!