Drop in Astroturf sod cup?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Oct 5, 2007.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of a ready made drop in for either the Hunter I-40 or Rain Bird 7000s that contain an Astroturf sod cup? Both offer regular sod cups for true turf, but I can’t find any information on an Astroturf type cup.

thanks,

.mz

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

No matter how much you water that hideous plastic, cup or not, it will never grow, I promise. Convert them to real grass...

Just kidding.

Why not use the regular sod cup and cut a piece of Astro to fit in it. Fill the cup with sand maybe? Plug all but one hole for drainage.

3. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

It will be a regular turf field, but for some reason... (namely another companies sales guy), they want the fake turf on the top of the head (I think it will look odd... Stupid = Yes.

:p

.mz

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Definetly. Oh well. Make sure they have your number so after a week you can come out and put real turf in the cup.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've installed sod cups on my own systems & schools. If you're head to head
    they work great....the astro turf is really not a bad idea IMHO. It's less turf
    for Kiril to complain about!:laugh:

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You should see my sod cups, 10 feet in diameter. ;)

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

This might be a really dumb question, but I'm new to irrigation so cut me some slack. Why would astroturf have an irrigation system in the first place? Rotors to water the fake grass?
    Someone educate me.

8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Years ago TAMU had an irrigation system on their synthetic fields. Not to grow more plastic, but to help reduce surface temp that, as you may recall can reach some pretty high numbers during Sept and Oct there in College Station.

Oh yeah, Beat the Hell Outta OSU! Gig 'em.

9. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Irrigation on synthetic turf is used for:

1. Cooling
    2. Cleaning - some systems use injector systems with disinfectant to clean the artificial turf surface.
    3. Static electricity - some systems go one step further with a second injection system for fabric softener to break down the static electricity keeping the rubber infill from sticking to the players.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Prolly use more crap on synthetic turf than the real deal!:cry: