Drop spreader...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know If I should be posting this here or not, it does pertain to lawns though. I am wondering if there is such thing as a drop spreader as opposed to one that flings the stuff all over. I am interested in something like this to salt the sidewalks of a commericial building. The problem with a "flinger" is it throws it all over the door frames, jams, etc and corrodes the aluminum (YES IT DOES!! BELIEVE ME) and it gets closer than need be due to the fact that the doors are under an overhang. Can anyone recommend something for this application?

2. sailinstud420

I forgot to mention this has to be a push spreader....

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Sure. Scotts makes them. Usually cheap plastic though. Gandy makes them as well in metal. Check yard sales. People here get rid of them all the time for just a few bucks. Only problem w/ your situation is the meatal ones will rust so you'll really have to do some up keep on them.

4. sailinstud420

I found a decent one at sears.com for 30 bones, it has a 70 # capacity too. I was wondering if there is something more commericial out there though. We used to use an Agri Fab broadcaster, and that had metal parts on it, it made it through about 2 winters and now its junk. I think the sears one may be better off due to the fact that the majority of it is plastic.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ertical=SEARS&pid=07101976000&tab=spe#tablink

5. out4now

from AZ

Gandy was a professional grade spreader I saw at the local Deere dealer. About a yard wide, all metal, handle reversable so you could push it or tow it. They had other sizes too. Was much more expensive than 30 bucks though. Probabbly better off with what you got. I think thiers was around $250.00 if I remember correctly.

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think lesco makes one for penn mulch. Probably better suited slit size.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

well i tried to go the cheap plastic way my self . I spent most of my time fing with it then using it . dont get one with the plastic tires all they do is slide
    agrifab makes a rotary spreader with deflectors iv been pleased with it .

8. sailinstud420

Price doesn't really concern me, b/c I am not buying it, the landlords are!! I was worried bout the plastic one being to cheap, any others? I'll take a look at the Gandy.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked out one by Lesco, don't know if this is what your after or not but anyway it is a broadcast spreader that can be changed to a drop spreader, kind of a dual purpose spreader you might say. I don't personally know about this spreaders functionality but it seems as though Lesco products are pretty well thought of and represented by a lot of folks on this board. Check it out.

G-P

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=707295

10. out4now

from AZ

Like Green-Pro said Lesco would be another good one to consider and they are a sponsor.