Dropped a customer today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punt66, Jul 1, 2008.

1. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Well i show up to mow and after i made one pass the owner comes running out yelling and saying i was just there earlier in the week! I kindley told him today is tuesday and he was cut last tuesday. He looked very confused. He said not to cut today because its not that long. I said ok and i loaded up my mower and told him he will be billed for a cut because he didnt call beforehand to cancel. So he said then cut it while your here. So i turned to him and said if you dont want weekly service then cancel and stop wasting my time. He studdered and said ok with very little enthusiasm. They have always been that way and i had enough. Plus i have been thinking about lightening my load anyhow. His wife has always handled the lawn stuff so never met him before. Think i will get a call from the wife? I think he might be in trouble with the wife hahha. It gave me a good laugh.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've had customers like that before. Anal retentive is what some people call them, I call them ******** or defective. Most of the time though, I just raise my price and see how bad they want me. When they cancel, I can live with it. Tony

3. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

Sounds like the wife is double booking lawn guys. Maybe she's got something going on the side?:confused:

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Why would he be in trouble with the wife when all they have to do is call one of the other thousand crews in the area to come do it? But yeah it does feel good to let a customer go thats been a real pain in the butt. We are thankful that we really dont have anybody like that at this time.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

The wife handles the lawn stuff and hired me just 2 months ago. I have given her 3 estimates over the past 3 years for mowing, plowing, and cleanups. They finally accepted the estimate year 3 after i told them i will not give them another haha. The first month the wife left a message on my machine at the end of the month thanking me for only mowing 1 time that month! Its weekly mowing up here so i was there 4 times haha. I billed for 4 and ahe paid. Now this month i get a call saying she will fertilize and to skip a week. so i skipped a week and 2 weeks later i run into the husband. Account closed! haha

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you were pretty rude to the customer....

I hope you didn't say and do what you said you did

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes i did. Thats not the customer i want on my list. You can have them. And it felt great to drop them. Nothing i said was with attitude, i was just right to the point. This is my business and i weed out the difficult ones. I have a large enough base to do it and keep my list clean. Im not wasting a spot on customers like that.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I gathered, too...
    But, you never went through this?
    Because I sure did...

Well ...
    Been there, done that.
    Yup, such is life.