dropped a customer yesterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tylerr83, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

seems like theres a thread on here at least once a week about a homeowner wanting their lawn cut shorter, so I might as well ad one myself. I had a customer ask me yesterday to please cut his lawn shorter this time. We had the same conversation the previous week and he said he was happy with it at 3". Then he asks "why do you cut her yard shorter than mine?" - pointing at the neighbors yard who we cut also at the exact same height. I explained that we cut both yards at 3". I showed him the decks on all three mowers are at 3''. I told him I would prefer to not cut it shorter than that but I would go down to 2 3/4'' if he really wanted that. Then he persists with the i'm cutting the neighbors shorter than his. I took that as him either calling me a liar or saying I don't know what i'm talking about. I really don't need that headache every week so after I finished the mow I knocked on his door and told him that I would no longer be able to service his property. He was pretty annoyed. I'm not thin skinned but I really don't feel like arguing with this guy about the height we cut his lawn at constantly.

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Only because its right next door I think I would have pulled out a tape measure. I love not having to move the truck, though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Tunica

Tunica LawnSite Member

I deal with it all the time it gets old

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We dropped one this week also. Been doing it for two years at 3''.

That's lower than we do anyone else. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks and this week he complained about the way his grass looked. :hammerhead:

Sent him a nice email letting him know we would be canceling service at the end of July. August 1 is when his contract is up so it worked out just right.

Ain't nobody got time fer dat!! :laugh:

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id just cut it lower if that's what they want

6. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

That's gotta feel pretty pathetic being dropped by the lawn guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

we have been getting a lot of rain so I've dropped all the decks on our mowers to 3''. I would have just dropped it a bit more for the next week and went on with it. But I hate losing customers especially when they are next door to another one I do.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly. Then when it burns up and he has something to say then you slap it back in his face and tell him to look at the neighbors that you cut higher and how much greener it is and explain there is a reason you cut at the heights you do. That way you get your point across and make him feel like an idiot but you are doing it in a polite way and in the mean time you were still making money off of him.

Cant make any money off a customer you no longer have.

9. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

that's true but a zebra isn't going to change is stripes. An irritating customer is an irritating customer....he was irritating yesterday, he's irritating today...and he'll be irritating tomorrow. I would not suggest dropping customers, even pita customers if someone is desperate for work or really needing the money, but if the plate is full then there's no sense in piling on spoiled food and making your stomach sick.

sometimes customers have a way of saying things that poison the relationship...I've had some that have done that over the past couple years...I've tried to look past it but ultimately I simply hate stepping on their lawns. One guy insisted that we didn't cut the lawn one week earlier this year, when we absolutely did....things escalated and he said stuff like "are you calling me a liar?" This guy had been a decent customer for several years but after that conversation I left him a goodbye letter at the end of the month. I just couldn't do it anymore.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

This is very true and we have dropped a few over the years but it can take years of nagging and irking us before we give them the boot.