Dropped a new customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, May 6, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

2 weeks ago i began to mow. Yesterday began mowing 4 customers on the same street. Got 2 done then loaded up the equip to move down the street. then the lady across the street came out and said are you mowing my lawn today?. i said, well... OK but you did not call me like you said you would 2 weeks ago. she said, well i tried and tried but was unable to contact you. ;) go figure. so we unloaded and after a couple of mowing stripes i realized her lawn was way too tall to mow once. so i stopped and told her it was necessary to double cut and that i would have to charge more for it. she got angry and told me she would not pay extra and to mow it anyway. i did try to explain but got no where with her. she then told me she would find someone else to mow. so i told her OK thanks for the business but i will not be back. i loaded up my equip. and she came back out the door to yell at me for not completely mowing the lawn like i did last time. :dizzy: :angry: so i left anyway. how would you of handled a customer like this one?.

2. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

Well i would have pulled my hand up and pimp slapped her lol
    j/p
    um just be like do it yourself then

3. LCME

I have in my contract the customer or me can cancel with a 15 day written notice. but, i have not written up anything. what would you write?.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

LCME,

You absolutely did the right thing. You were right to ask for more money if it needed to be double cut. More work should be more money.

In the future, you should never allow a customer to call you when they want the lawn mowed. This can never lead to anything good. If they give you resistance to the idea of mowing on the intervals that you suggest, don't take them as a client.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. LCME

I also told her i would be here every thursday and if her lawn looked fine i would pass it. then, next time i would mow. but, again i would have to charge an extra for the double cut. she said no way extra?.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This really depends on how bad you need customers. If you got more than you can handle then the choice is easy.
    Once I had my more off the trailer and cutting I would have finished the work a regular cost and then made sure to have her a scheduled cutting next time. Your fault for not having her on a regular schedule

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I still don't understand how yall just tick customers off and stay in business. The LAST thing you need is that lady calling 'bobs lawn care' and having him come do a great job cheaper and for her to tell all the nieghbors.

If the 2nd cut wouldn't of taken long I would of done it just to make another happy customer. Then get her on regular plan. A little bit of effort on your part might just go a long way. You can't just have the gravy.

If it really warranted a 2nd cut then just tell her nice that her yard is very healthy and growing so fast that it really needs a 2nd cut to make it look right and aid in the lawns health and it will be xx dollars. Lets say you wanted 10 for extra cut and you were going to charge her 25 for the yard before that extra 10. Now you didn't just lose that 10 for the extra. You lost the 25. In the time it took you to exchange words you may of had it done!

Don't tick off customers who live on same street as many others that's for sure. Your just opening that door for good ol bobs lawn care to take over your streetby beating your price by a few bucks

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with that Pro- Scapes. Pretty good set up to have all those yards on one street. Another lawn service gets one of them and it could be a dominoe effect. Easier to try and keep the customers you have happy than trying to find new one's too. Hard to find any new customers around here with the market saturated as it is

9. bindercop

bindercop LawnSite Member

I agree with Pro Scapes. Go ahead and do it. Explain to her that it needs a second cut and that she needs to be on a regular schedule. The main thing is making a customer mad when you have a few more in the same area. I have five yards within 100 yards of each other that I mow all on the same day. They are close enough that I do not even load my mower to move I just ride to each one. There is one yard that I mow for a lady that is really a pain in the tail, just about everytime that I mow she tells me she wants it done another way or that I am doing it wrong, but, that is O.K. The way I see it, it is worth it. You see, this lady is the neighborhood gossip. If I make her mad and she finds another service I may very well loose the rest of my customers in this area. Not only do I mow four others I have also done landscaping for three of them not to mention landscaping for two others that I do not mow. Most of which I received because even though she is a pain and I dread mowing her yard and she has told me several times that she doesn't really care for my work to me, she has told everyone else in the neighborhood that I am the best. If you milk the cow often enough soone or or later you will step in some s***. If you do just wipe it off.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++so i stopped and told her it was necessary to double cut and that i would have to charge more for it. she got angry and told me she would not pay extra and to mow it anyway++++

Those two sentences are enough for me to say he did the right thing. A reasonable customer would have agreed to extra money for extra work. This customer is a bad customer, plain and simple.

What's wrong with an LCO having a little back bone?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper