Dropped Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Apr 15, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I dropped a few customers this season for various reasons. I managed to find someone locally who wanted to take them on, and sold the accounts to him. They were basically some every other week people and a few lawns that were kind of pitas to do.

One customer was not happy that I decided to not do her lawn again. I basically didn't want to to her yard anymore because she's got a hill in her back yard that I have to push mow, that's just become too much of a pain to do after 6 years. The conditions don't allow for me to use a big mower on, and even if I could it's often too wet to get a wb on to cut. I tried to explain to her the reasons, and that it wasn't anything personal and pointed out I found someone to fill my place and keep doing her lawn. I liked the woman, she was a good customer, and she pointed out she was a good customer and willing to pay more if I had asked. I kinda felt bad about that. Top it off, a recent estimate request I got was from someone she recommended me to, and she wasn't happy that I was willing to do that lawn but not hers.

So, I pretty much made her mad, although that wasn't my intentions. Anyone ever have a problem like that when they dropped a customer?
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I can relate to the customer you dropped. I have one account with this lady that I really hated. I just started last year so I really didn't know what to do. Took me about 40 minutes mow,trim,blow. The problem was the back yard had a water table that was pretty high. Everytime I mowed (Except one week in July) I had to hose down my mower.
    33 bucks.

So, I sent here a letter and gave her a new quote of 40 bucks with the explanation that it was beacuse of the wet yard. It will be interesting to see what happens when I do the follow-up call.
  3. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

one of my neighbors called for an estimate, i told her "we don't mow properties w/in sight distance of either of the owners houses." so we concluded the phone conversation. the next day, she flagged my wife down while my wife was walking and told her me and my brother were real @ssholes.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I talked to the woman I mentioned above and explained the whole thing to her. She's much less angry now, but still miffed I would giver her account up. Oh well.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't please them all, you tried your best, that's all you can ask of yourself