Dropped the Scag from my Truck!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Aug 2, 2006.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Today is just one of those really bad days. Hot, muggy, and the Scag took a four foot fall from the back of my truck.

I was all caught up mowing and used my morning to clean up my shop. The Scag is seldom used and taking up space, so I figured I would take it to my house to run around on the weekends. I dropped the tailgate and realized I needed to pull the truck forward to make space for my ramps.

I hear "Thunk, Crash" and look in my rearview mirror to see the front casters sticking up in the air.:dizzy:

Anyone else have days like this???????

2. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Lost blowers and trimmers that way but never a big mower.;) Is the damage serious or can it be fixed?

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i lost my riding mower off of my trailer during my first year, i was hot and tired and forgot to strap it down.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

i had to apply the formula in my sig that day for sure!

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i never understood why people would put a WB in a bed like that. I watched a guy at my dealership yesterday load a hydro 48" scag into the back of his 4x4 dually dodge WITH a dump insert! the load height was easily 5' and he was using 8' ramps. He got up the ramps fine, but the tires started slipping off the ramps at the very top. I thought about running over to help him, but realized it was too dangerous. if that thing had fallen it would have crushed me or him.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would never attempt to load a machine heavier than me in a pu bed myself, it's bad enough when the engine quits on the way up the trailer ramp, at least that is just steep enough where if I push real hard I can still get it on there.

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it may have put a hurtin on that Scag??? Any update?

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I've loaded the back of my f150 with my 36" wb on several occasions where I would be working in small tight areas witrh limited parking. I have never had a problem loading or unloading the mower. I use a set of 8' wood ramps with a top kit that I got at lowes.

8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Any updates? Pictures please? Just be glad you wern't under it.

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Well, for an old mower, she has some dents, but she started right up! There is a pretty good dent in the top fender of my Velke where it slammed against the frame, but other than that, just cosmetic nicks and dings.

As to the ramp issue, it's a 36" belt drive Scag. Small machine. My ramps are 2x12x8 and are not the issue, here. The issue is that I pulled the wheel chocks on the mower, lowered the tailgate, THEN decided to move the truck!

Oh well, another good story to add to a legnthy list, right?

Brian

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no straps? :hammerhead:I hope you weren't going more than a block or two. what you have there is a 400lb projectile waiting to come flying out if you're not strapped