droppin the business - goin freelance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Aug 18, 2001.

1. hey everyone. as you guys know i got into an accident about 1 month ago and am without a truck now. i go back to school in another few days. i am giving away my lawn mowing accounts to a good friend of mine. there are only about 7 lawns now anyways. i may do some side work on occasion for people who dont give me troubles. i have decided though that i want to go and do freelance climbing for while i am in college to get some cash. i am tired of dealing with customers, giving estimates, and getting hounded by certain people who refuse to pay going rate and still want a beyond perfect job done. i will post a thread in the off topic forum for what i want to climb, if any of you guys from my area are interested.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of luck to you lawnboy, but if you are fed up with people at your young age, you have a long road ahead of you. Whether employed, or the employer! Life is what you make of it. Good luck!:)
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Not trying to be an A**hole but....... How did you go from keeping 3 employees buissy to only only having 7 accounts? I know as well as any one what a pain owning a business is but..... I also know how much I hate working for someone else! Yeah.... I often think about how nice it would be to go work for someone else and not have to think about work after 5PM. I am constantly stressed out and ussualy work till about 9 at night by time i get done calling customers back, typing estimates, bills, record keeping and equipment maintnance! I have worked to dam hard building my business to just throw it all away! Even after saying all that..... I love this business! I hope you have thought about this long and hard..... hope you dont regret this desision in a few years when you think about what you could have had! By the way..... did you not have insurance on your truck? why cant you repalce it?
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

5. eric- that thread was when i was figuring in a 90K job that never materialized. always somebody sayin do this job, and then nothing ever comes from it. evan- i kept 3 people busy 4 days a week plus myself. we did a good chunk of side work. i started the year with i think like 15 accounts and lost a good chunk over the past few months.- i do plan on replacing my truck very soon. the reason i am doing this is because i only have about 15 days before i go back to school, and i just fired my employees because there were problems. its too late now to hire, train and gain trust in new people. also- my parents dont want me coming home every weekend. and i would much rather spend my weekends up at school than being home with headaches. what i would like to do is just do this once a month and then do it on vacations from school- winter break and a bit in the summer. at 250 - 300 per day for just me i cant complain really. dont have to worry about paying employees, or high gas costs for running all over the place, and all that stuff. randy- i am not very happy with my life, no i am not gonna go kill myself now. but i just want to limit the troubles i have right now. i think this is a good way to do so. i find that when i do tree work for customers and i have to clean up i get myself into trouble. when all i have to do is just get it to the ground- never had a problem yet.
  6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Something doesn't 'feel' right with all this......
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you need to relax for a semester and rethink what youre doing.From your posts,I get the feeling that your a workaholic,who has no personal life.So this may be what you need.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"also- my parents dont want me coming home every weekend. "

This I can understand, I get a dull throb behind my left eye whenever I read your posts, I can imagine the headaches your folks must endure listening to your tales of woe for 48 hours.

Good luck with your new venture. But dont bother coming up this way, there are enough guys with saddles and ropes in the back of their rusty F250's with expired Maine plates living out of the seedy weekly rate motels to saturate my market.
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Be a finisher and not just a starter.

When you are in school, make sure you COMPLETE your education and don't just start it.

Be thorough, COMPLETE courses, assignments, and your diploma.

Completion is the basis for integrity.

10. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I wish you good luck. You do seem like a workaholic and I feel that even though you will be freelance and going to school, you will soon not have enough work to bide your time with. You will have a gap of time to relax, but then you will want to fill that with work. Before too long you are working just as hard and just as much as before. Just take a break and re-evaluate your situation, before just throwing it all to the side. You're young, I am sure things in your life will work out. ;)