Dropping Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNSTAR1306, Aug 1, 2004.

1. LAWNSTAR1306

LAWNSTAR1306 LawnSite Member

How does a company drop a customer? in person or through a letter? any body have sample letters?:confused:

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Never had to drop a customer, but you should call and talk to them and then send a letter saying "sorry it didn't work out but thank's for you business over the years" (I guess)

Joe Wood

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose you could do it the way I did it..
    Wait till they call the Better business bureau because you aren't trimming their shrubs every couple of weeks. This woman is on a contract this year. Last year, she asked me to trim her shrubs 3 times. This year, with the contract, that little words " as needed" made her think that I would trim her shrubs on a whim. She called the BBB when it didn't happen and I dropped her and let her out of her contract. She has been my worst PITA customer, and, she goes to church with me and gets a significant discount. 12,000 SF of turf, fertilized 3 times and shrub trimming "as needed" for $775.00 contract price yearly. Tell me that wasn't a good deal.
    See what happens when you do a good deed for a "friend"?

Just send a letter and tell them that you are sorry, but are unable to service their property any longer, make a suggestion of another lawn service if you want, but just tell em.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dear sir/mam, effective immediately xyz landscaping will no longer be servicing your property. good day, xyz landscaping.

5. USEALLY The reason i cancel somebody is because of non payment ....call em tell they are in what i call the deadbeat heap.
    Then i send out the appropiate collection letter .

6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

With a good sensitive lie, people don't like being dumped and can get vindictive. Something like your downsizing!

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If its a lawn I'm losing money on (not a non-payment customer), I'll give them a call and explain the situation. And I offer to do one last service so I don't leave them hanging. Then I follow up the conversation with a letter.

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I use the downsizing line and it does the job fine!

9. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I grew up in Greensboro and as much money that is in that town I would not cut a yard for that little bit of change a year. My mother lives out lawndale in a small ranch house and pays twice that just for cut. That PTA you had did not know how good they had it. Oh I hate Greensboro only go to see mother.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Why drop em ..... just raise the price