Dropping customers who only..,

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Aug 22, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I decided to not renew with any customers who only had mowing service. If they didn't buy some other service I offer, I will not be renewing them in the spring. I only have a couple of these customers, so it won't be a huge impact on initial numbers for next year. But for me mowing is a loss leader and if they don't buy mulching, weeding, fertilizer, of some other service I don't want them. Have any of you tried this in the past?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yes,,,

as you know "or should"
    to produce a lovely tree,
    sometimes you have to prune a few branches

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I always though of those "just mow" accounts as a steady income and the rest of the work as IE much, prunning,weeding as the gravy money.

4. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Why is mowing not making enough money? Do price low so you can get the other services? We don't do much mowing but we surely make money when we do.

5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

If mowing is a loss for you then you must be doing something wrong

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing is my least profitable service. I don't actually lose money but it doesn't generate the profit I like to see. Customers who buy other services make mowing worth it. And mowing does generate other jobs. But for those customers who only bought mowing this year are not going to be resigned.

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I just started in this business and I'm in the get every single job possible without lowballing stage.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't cut them loose unless servicing them is cutting into time you could spend doing more lucrative work. I have a lot of customers that were 'mow only' accounts their first year or two but over time they have gone for the upsells. One customer started off as an every other week mowing account and has over the years turned into one of my more lucrative accounts. So it's hard to say early on.

Just my opinion, but if you would prefer to do landscaping, then do landscaping and don't even fool around with mowing. If you offer mowing then you'll always have customers that want only that service.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that echeandia is saying that the mowing is a "loss leader". That means that it's still a valuable tool in getting the other "more profitable" jobs.

Let's face it, mowing in itself has got to be the lowest profit type of service anyone could ever offer. It's not hard to see once you've brought in the thousands a day landscaping can bring in.

I do the same, I offer mowing just to be in front of the condo boards when they make landscape decisions. It pays off in more than landscaping.
    We have a condo that had foundation repair done by another contractor. When the time came to repour the cement deck at the back, they wouldn't touch it, so we did. It's $70/hr per man, whatever and whenever we do it. Pays very well. Same project has us changing a large rock bed into sodded area. Budget is 20k, well guess what , it'll cost clost to that...:laugh: :laugh: That's what echeandia means... "MORE MONEY".

Anyone who is happy just doing mowing the more power to you, myself I'd rather make "real" money...:laugh: :laugh:

:)

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I know, but a couple months back he was saying he only had 2 days of work a week so unless something has changed I would hold onto those mowing accounts.