Dropping Customers....?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Mar 11, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well I know we all want customers but sometimes I guess it is needed to well..loose a few. I have one that requested our services again this year, however she has a very and I mean very fast growing lawn, verse any other lawn in that area. Any suggestions on how to drop her and be kind about it?

2. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Does she do her own Fert.? If so shes probaly using to much nitrogen, also known as feeding the top. Tell her too much residual nit. in lawn and during growing season you'll have to charge her substantialy more, either she'll pay you, and thats great, or drop you. In eiter case you make out.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

raise the price to one you can live with ...don't drop her ...make it really worth the time ...or if you really don't want to deal with it just double or triple the present rate

4. mmorgan

mmorgan LawnSite Member

Charge more per cutting for the mess or cut more often. Make the customer decide. Offer her the two options. She will pick one or offer Number 3, which is what you want anyway.

5. If you feel you have to drop the client, drop the client. Just do not have any second thoughts about it. I would prefer the above mention methods as an alternative to outright and drop her. Dropping clients is on the same realm as gaining clients. Got to know when to do it. I have dropped some clients in the past. Most of the time, it has been for poor payment practices.
    John

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few that were just TOO many problems. I just did not like them personally and they were just TOO many headaches no matter how much money was involved. I sent them a letter stating that I had to make some very tough business decisions and I was sorry but I would not be able to be their lawn service provider. Never heard from them except one guy that called several times and again the next year wanting me to mow his yard.

Sometimes it is tough dropping some customers, but I felt great after that big stress reliever.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I dropped over $1000.00 a month last year in one day! :confused:

The stress was killing me and the accounts were all very large, they should have paid a heckuvalotmore than they did but you live and learn. I have found that if there is something on your shedule (english) that you just absolutely dread going to then its best to just let somebody else do it. I really needed the grand a month but it wasnt worth the extra hours, wear and tear on the equipment (school playgrounds dont have much grass) and wear and tear on me mentally!

If ya dread it shed it!!!!!!!!!!:D
    I just made that up!
    Think I.ll copyright that one.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I believe id just call her and tell her the situation.
    Then terminate if you dont want to work something out with her.

9. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Skookum and Homer exactly. (In fact, there are not many times I don't agree with Homer). On rare occassions I have had customers that were just a pain in the arse and a big headache. When it gets to the point that you start dreading going to a property because of the negative interaction with the customer, well, that's not why I started my own business. It's a conscience decision on a business owners part who they will service and for how much. I have written very professional letters to a few notifying them that I would no longer be able to maintain their property and thanking them for there past business. In these instances, raising the price was never an option. I wanted to be through with the constant hassle. If I wanted a knot in my stomach every day, I would go back and work for the s.o.b. that used to be my boss.

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

don't drop, go back to the yard more offen, i love these lawns you can cut them every 3 to 4 days. but if they only want you coming once a week or every 6 or 7 days then its time to drop. and show them that you mean business,most of the time they will allow you to come when it does need cut then.