1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dropping Customer's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSL 23, Sep 6, 2003.

1. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

I would like to know what you would do in this case. We have had some customer's that still do not pay after a month or 4 cut's but we have had them for several year's. What do you suggest.

Thank you

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ding dong pay up sucker
  3. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

Find out the reason that they are not paying you, then take it from there.
  4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

get them to pre-pay you
    tell them its your policy that if they don't pay ontime for say umm 2 bills... THey now have to pre-pay you

Or at beginning of season when getting agreements put together add in a part about late payments...for instance you'l add a 2%fee for late payment something like that.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How are you billing them? By the cut?
    Or are you billing them after a month of service, and they still aren't paying you for another month?

If you're billing by the cut, then maybe paying after each and every cut isn't convenient for them. Some people may choose to handle all their bills only once a month.

SO your first step is to make it convenient for them to pay.

If you aren't already doing this.... bill them once a month at the end of the month, get a red stamp made up at Staples or business supply store that says, "Payment due within 10 days", and see how that works out for you.

Let us know how frequently you are billing them. From the way I read your post, I'm assuming you are billing them after each cut?
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i use bubbas collection service. this guy in 6/6, used to play semi pro football in florida. and he dont care if he goes to jail. he gets 50% of the collection. dont know if he will travel to rhode island though, thats a long bike ride for him.
  7. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

GSL 23,

I say if you can afford it, keep them. Some times things happen to us in life that we can't control.
    I have been mowing for about 9 years now. I can think of two customers, right off the top of my head that I charge weekly but sometimes they will go three or four weeks with-out being home. One of my current customers who I have had for about seven years holds the record at six weeks with out paying.
    Be patient with them, in the long run, this little convenience to them will set your services apart from the competition.
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Craig on that point. I have a couple of customers that are hard to catch at home. They've always been good about paying and I know they will pay. One guy owes me for 5 weeks, and a woman that owes me for 6. I'm not worried about them though. I just sent out end of the month invoices and included their accounts with them even though they normally pay every week. If they don't respond to those by sending in their payment, or call to make arrangements to pay me personally; then we have a problem that will be delt with accordingly.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Communicate with the customer to find out what's going on.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Give them a call and ask them whats going on. Then tel them that your adding a late fee starting the next month. I think by law the most you can add a month, is 2%.