Dropping fert w/dimension in 30 degree temps?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfRyder, Mar 25, 2010.

1. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

Today we will have highs in the mid 30's with wind gusts to 28 MPH. The company I work for wants me to drop some fert with dimension in these conditions.

Would you do it? Will the grass be O.K. with the machine running over it?

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If you do not leave ruts you will be OK. I plan to start the first full week of April. Temps might not be any better then.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ryder - you are too early. Dropping fert in the wind is not an issue. But why apply Dimension this early, there is no way your soil temps are anywhere near 55. We are on the same parallel as you roughly and lawns fully dormant here. Trugreen isn't even out yet.

Your Dimension won't even last until July 4th applying this early. Maybe look at going straight fert right now.

4. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

28 mph may move your granulars and stripe the lawns. Be careful of using a ride on in that temp as the grass blades may brake if frozen. Saw another company do that and the lines where they drove were there for weeks.

5. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

I am just going to make up the hours on a better day. I know its too early to be laying down the dimension but I don't make those calls.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have enough time to finish you crabgrass control by May 15? If you have to start eary--do it. Cold will not hurt it. Be sure to use the recommended amount for your area. Decomposition of the chemistry will be slow if soil is cold.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Tell your boss to bag the Dimension & begin to focus on what REALLY keeps weeds in check & under control:

Thick, healthy, culturally-maintained turf in biologically active soil

See how that flies with 'im!! :)

8. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

It's nice to see you come out of your little organic hole to provide such useful information here and there.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, the most useful info there is on this site. always comes from marcos. hahahha

said it b4, you are going to have a very healthy stand of grass, but still without crabgrass prevention it will happen in some areas and that is not acceptable in lawn care so it is then a necessity for that purpose. i have super thick lawns and they have very little weeds, but they would still get some and gotta kill them with something and liquid kelp etc aint gonna do it!

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Once you apply Dimension, the clock starts ticking regarding breakdown. Barricade does not break down until soil temps get warm. When we use Dimension, we usually apply it beginning April 1st thru the end of May. Two app's on thin lawns. Our 2 cents.