Dropping fullservice /extras on residentials

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have come to the conclusion that Next year we will only be doing fullservice on a small handful of residential accounts and all commercial.

Extras on residentials are too much of a headache especially when we are mowing 5.5 days a week. Commercials don't call once a week and ask "when are you gonna do this and that and blah blah blah". They know that it will get done and that you won't let things get too out of shape.

The other thing that I have noticed is that the customers that we do mowing only for...NEVER complain. We cut and send a bill at the end of the month. They come back year after year, and all is well. The customers that want extras or have extras in there contract call and want to know can we cut this next time we come, or do this or that. I always think to myself we barely Finish all of our lawns half the time, and you want me to cut down a tree????

Next year I also won't be doing any planting, or minor tree work. My business ends with LAWNCARE not LANDSCAPING, yet ppl. think we ripe out bushes and plant lyland cypress (inside Joke) lol.

I just think my business will be better for it even if it mean losing a few customers. We can replace those with either commercial fullservice, or Residentials that want mowing ONLY.

2. Jpocket

I also find that I make about the same money or less on those misc. landscape jobs as I do mowing....I find myself saying whats the oint in even getting off the mower. On the really profitable accounts I gross between $81-$120 perhour just mowing.

WHy bother doing "hard" work for the same money. My guys don't really like mulching on saturdays after 50 hours of mowing all week anyways.

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Those are the very reasons that I got rid of all of my residental accounts and went to commercial only. Less headache for better money.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I like to think of myself as pretty savvy. I will be adopting justmowits philosophy of two trucks next year......one for mowing and the other for the beds, extra work and tree care.

I am ashamed that I did not think of this first myself. I agree with NOT doing the extras that customers want. Just mow and go.

5. Jpocket

In the spring I will do my contracted mulch, in June trim bushes, ferts, and what ever else the commercail customers want.

The only way I will do extras for residentials other than my handful is if we are in a severe drought.......just to keep my employees making $$$

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe not yours but my commie does exactly that, why does mine do this? I will NEVER bid another commie contract ever again, and if I do, I'll be sure to jack the price way up there, real high.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must have a different set of commericial properties than we have because ours are always wanting something extra and they want it done yesterday. In fact that is were the good money is made on the extra stuff including stuff for residential.

8. Jpocket

Yea but for me it's like everybody wants some little crap, that I can do, but it's so insignificant, or not worth my time, Why should I bother. Plant a rose bush or whatever. I don't even do That. I've got a whole list of extra crap to do now and it doesn't add up to $300...It's not worth the time. We mow 5.5 days a week.

9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

All I do is mow,fert and mole trap now. I used to do everything else, but mowing is where the real "easy" money is. I can mow all day and keep going, but when it comes to all the other odds and ends I just get burnt out on it fast. So now I just book myself on mowing and turn everything else down. No one ever complains either that I dont offer that as my service.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The past couple years I've just let the customers know that ALL work like mulch, hedges, etc. must be scheduled and completed prior to when the grass starts growing...April and May are 100% mowing, no time to deal with anything else...I just did a mulch job on June 2 that the customer had requested back in early April :laugh:

Now that the grass has slowed down I can pick up some extras, but yeah a lot of times the little extras are hardly worth the effort.