Dropping like flies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Heard from my buddy dcondon last night that a local hydroseeding company was going out of business. They did some nice work especially with hardscapes. He has been in business for probably 5-7 years

Then talked with another LCO lady earlier in the week and she is slowly going to cut back on who she offers services to. She has been in business for probably close to 20 years.

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Troy, more money for you???? you might need to hire people to handle the boom in your area payup payup payup

3. tiedeman

from earth

I know!!! :) I want to go solo again next year, but this has me second guessing about whether to go back to crews again. I will probably still stay small and only accept about 10-15 new customers next year. I know my limits :)

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

How many employees do you have now?

5. tiedeman

from earth

Last year I had 3 employees (2 full, and 1 part time).

This yearI downsized the travel accounts and stopped taking on new accounts and I had one part time guy help me out for about 2 months (working maybe 10 hours a week).

Next year I plan on not hiring anyone on, and just doing it myself.

6. tiedeman

from earth

I need to stop being so lazy, and start doing a lot of the work myself again.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Good plan. I did that myself. I started specializing in areas others know nothing about or don't have the equipment for. That is the real high profit areas.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I hope to be doing the opposite. I want to hire on 2 full timers to take over the physical labor duties. This way I can spend time bidding and advertising. Also, I'd like to get this pesky "college" thing over with. I'm 25 and still have 2 years left. Sucks only being able to take 6-10 credits at a time. Any advice for me when I hire on a crew for next year?

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't do it. Drop out of college, go into the lawn business and go balls to the wall yourself, never look back.

Best thing I did 14 years ago was drop out of college.

Second best thing I ever did was finally get rid of my last employee last year.

Tiedeman, do worry about those other LCOs getting out of the business. You may not have a real true idea as to why they're gone, even if they came right out and told you. Not to put you down, but through the years I've learned people usually have something to hide.

If you worried about all the accounts that switched hands every year, or the ones that dropped the LCO, or the LCO dropped for whatever reason, shoot.. you'd be nuttier than B.Gedd. :)

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I wish you were my high school guidance counselor. The only reason I'm not going balls deep in lawn care is that I hope to move out of state after college. I would like to start a life and family somewhere.....well, I guess ANYWHERE but here.