1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dropping residential to go all commercial...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eggy, Aug 17, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about re entering the job market and with this idea will nedd to eliminate some clients. The problem I have is elimanting the residential client when there is still season left. I am wanting to hang on to all of my commercial however mowing these on the side...opinions please.....
  2. I'm guessing you want to keep the com. accounts so you can do them nights/weekends while working a regular day shift somewhere else?
    If thats the case it makes sense to me to drop the res. since they are least likely to want you there when they are.
    If you are working a shift where you will have days free then I would lean towards keeping the res.

I would find another LCO that could handle your res. accounts, let the customer know whats happening and why, and that you have a plan to take care of them.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do what you have to do. If you need to re-enter the job market then do it. Just inform the customers, and as stated above, try to find someone to handle them.
  4. As above plus see if someone will buy them from you.

Give us some more info to guide you better.
  5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

The aprt about doing them on the weekend and evening hits it on the head. My commercial could care less when they are done as long as they remain looking good. One thing also is my residential have become use to seeing me and when I enter the job market there would be days I wouldnt mow any......
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

As stated before, you should be able to find another LCO to do them for you. Is there enough of the to sell them? Even if you give them to someone else, you'd be making sure not to leave them without a service. I pick up lawns every year that the customers didn't know what happened to there LCO. I know it can be a tough business, but we all owe to each other to raise the bar on our service.