Dropping'em all.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Avery, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the time has come...had to make a business decision. Installs are coming in way faster than I can keep up with. As I make more on install than I do on maintenance I have decided to discontinue that portion of the business. My largest account who I had a three year contract with was stunned. Tried to get me to reconsider. This was not an easy decision. Hard to give up something I have worked so long to build but it makes sense for the bottom line.

2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations. Its a bold move, I wish you a lot of luck.

I have thought about the same thing in the past. I have always thought the real money in the landscape industry is not made with a mower.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Are you selling the maintence divison or just going to close it? Aren't you still bound by the contract?

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Not selling the business. Just fading away... :) No we are not bound by the three year contract. It (and all my other contracts) ends the last day of Dec. We will continue to service them until then. The three year one we will simply not re-new.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck with it Avery.

That's the way I was when I decided to drop my 2 maintenance crews and go back to being solo a while back.

Properties that I'd been servicing for 5-6-7-8-9 years were stunned, that I wouldn't be back the following year.

Best move I ever made was going back to being solo.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Good luck to you. :drinkup:

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What percent of your install leads come from your maintenance? Would this be a reason to keep maintenence? From your past posts it appeared that you ran a profitable division so this move is unexpected. I know that margins are better in the installs but comming from you this has me concerened that maintenance profits are getting really hard to keep up.
    Good luck with the change and I'm sure it will work well for you.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Good luck Avery!!!!

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Why are you not wanting to sell the accounts???

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider any accounts as assets and try to sell them or at least get something out of what you have worked so hard to acquire.

Accounts can be bought or sold just like anything else. Good luck