Drought 2008 PLAN B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corey4671, Jul 3, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

OK. so the drought is really screwing up the mowing end of things for me. Since I live in a RURAL area, I got to thinking, there is always somebody that needs a fencerow cleaned out. Well, here is my attempt at it, before and after. After all this was basically what I did with my summers growing up!

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice work, and your ingenuity in tough times shows!
    You might also be able to replace broken off fence posts as well, just a thought.
  3. corey4671

thanks. this is my folks place and it sits between a highly traveled main highway and a secondary state route. My dad is pretty well known around the area and highly respected by most people. I think it will draw some attention. There is a horse farm across the road from him that has already called wanting their fences cleaned out and has some fallen trees he wants cleaned up as well. I plan on taking a couple of these pictures and making a flyer from them and posting them in the post office and all the farm supply stores and the local cafes. I really am optimistic that this could turn into as much of a money maker than the mowing.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I've been lowballing a few odd jobs just to get the work lol
    And one hates to do it but what can you do...

Btw my regular customers usually get first dibs :)
  5. corey4671

well I don't know that I'd say I'm lowballin on this stuff. I'm chargin $55/hr and when you think about it my only expense is the mixed fuel which my FS 100R is burning about a tank an hour and then the line...which that field wire just absolutely eats up. That last picture, that section was almost all thistles that were easily six or seven feet high and in some places 2-3" in diameter. Thus job took me five hours to finish. Now that sounds like a lot, but consider there a whole otehr stretch that is as long as this one that you can't see on the other road AND the fact that I mow both inside AND outside the fence. There are places where the wire is so close to the ground you can't get under it. Plus it just looks better to go along both sides.I just make a habit of not looking back to see how far I've come and try not to look ahead too much either. Jsut crank the Peltors up and keep my head down and an extra piece of string in my back pocket!:weightlifter:
  6. Four Seasons Lawn

Four Seasons Lawn LawnSite Member

I've had to resort to doing other things too. The rain we've had has been hit or miss so a lot of my accounts are drying up too. Done a pretty big pressure washing job yesturday and have some painting lined up. I hate to do either one but its money to be made.
  7. corey4671

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong I still get paid too, but it's just odd ball stuff we wouldn't normally do...
    And the price is right but it's still low because of lack of experience in that area, so to speak...

For example...
    I just cut off a high up tree branch that had snapped and was hanging down...
    All of 4-5 maybe 6 cuts total to load it up, haul it away.
    I originally quoted 30-40-50 (I think).
    It didn't take long, maybe 20 minutes.

I forgot the risk factor...
    When the cut went through and the branch fell away it relieved some sort of pressure and the whole trunk of the tree moved about a foot over, all this while I'm standing about 20 feet in the air on my ladder which was resting on said trunk.
    So then when you add the cost of the shorts I had to go change :p
  9. corey4671

well see..you didn't have to CHANGE shorts...just turn em inside out!
  10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites BE CAREFUL