drought breaker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Aug 27, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

theres good fortune and bad fortune.
    u take what cards are dealt. i say this so as to hopefully not jinx what my post is about.
    they called for a 3 day rain and it didnt come until 2 days later. if any body studies these things u know that coming 2 days late can mean a slow moving front. possibly more than 3 days. mabe a week steady.
    if this in fact is the case,it will really wake everything green up,what with the very warm nights. we mght be looking at a jungle out there.
    plus it might even impact the pitiful
    lakes and water areas that are more or less dried out.
    i just hope some of u other areas that up to now have been missing the little rains. get a full dose of this.here in the piedmont ,we know what u are going thru.good luck
    :)

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like it went from one extreme to the other. Its good that the rains have come but the news showed flooded areas.
    We are getting hammered here as I type this. Looks like a tough day ahead.
    Stay safe.

3. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

I know what you mean, it goes from one extreme to the other. We got hammered yesterday in Wilson County, had around 5-6 inchs of rain all at one time and cars where getting stuck in the roads, water coming thru the windows. Looks like today is going to be another wet one. BUT, I sure am glad to see it rain, along with all my customers.:blob4: :blob1: :blob3: :dizzy:

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

We got a good storm Saturday. It rained most of the day Monday, now its just overcast - no rain..:(

Still really dry, but the color is coming back in the lawns.

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Woke up to the sound of rain pounding on my roof. Music to my ears!!!! DonĀ“t mind getting rained out today!!!! Just need to get motivated to get back into the 12 hour work days.

LAWNS AND MOWER

6. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Good steady rain here on the coast, heard the rain and turned over:). Might get rain all week. Like awm said. It's good and bad. Gonna have to play catch up. We needed the rain soo bad it will be worth it. Hope you guys are getting it up in the Northeast as well.
    Raymond

7. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

I'm in New England, Still waiting for the rain! We had 25 days with temps over 90 degrees this summer, our norm is 13 days over 90, coupled with the drought and things are not very pretty! But, we've been thru drought seasons before, we'll be OK. Kinda worried about the local farmers though!! Weather man says no benificial rain in site but we MIGHT get some showers at end of week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

we got one of those slow rain drizzle days .all day. thats just what the doctor ordered . at least for the grass. dont help the dried up water areas to much tho.

9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

you said that right awm.......just what we need.........a slowwww long rain.....not a downpour , just a steady slow one

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you guys are getting rain again. Take it however it comes though. Apparently your lakes are dry, so the harder rains will help that out.