Drought emergency declared in WA.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Just when I was hoping to make up for a crap year last season now a drought.
    What can we expect here? I know some of you guys have gone through this. How big a hit have some of you taken? Could you mow at least twice a month? Less? What about other plantings? Should we back off on fertilizers?
    Last bad drought was 25 years ago. This one might be the worst in 75 years.
    How about you WA. guys , what do you think?

2. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I didn't think ya'll knew what a drought was wwwaaaaayyyyy up yunder.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, a drought already that doesn't look good for your area. hope it gets better for ya

4. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I heard about the expected drought too. Kind of scary, last year was very dry here in eastern WA. I'm not looking forward to seeing it dry up any more. Last summer was tough, thank god for irrigated lawns.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We feel for you down here ...Brevard has been a D4 area for over 6 months (12-15 inches needed to lower index .5) last ytd rain fall was 21" below normal and we are already 3" down http://enso.unl.edu/monitor/monitor.html

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Twotoros,

What do you expect? You are on the edge of the desert in central Washington. You either have drought or you don't. Get more of your customers to irregate.

7. Twotoros

cclc, it is a desert but we rely on snowpack in the cascades
    to feed the resevoirs which feed the irrigation canals. if it is bad there will be rationing and if it is extra hot that may mean less $$ for this poor old lawnboy.all of e. wa. is a desert were it not for dams,resevoirs and the army corp. of enginiers who made them.

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

And to think, i have to spend my 300th post on the drought topic. lol.

Over here on the west coast it is supposed to be bad. Two years ago we had 96 days straight of rain. It was actually really depressing. This year i think we have had 5. Some of the local dams have even been shut down due to the lack of water. The local mountain here is the big water source for our area. Two years ago we set the world record for most snowfall in one year. It was enough to bury the statue of liberty. This year our highest mark was 96 inches and it rained a few days after that. Heck, even a normal year is well above 200. So, do i think there will be a drought? HECK YA!

I was worried about it at christmas, so i planned ahead. I moved all my customers to a FLAT RATE fee basis. They all get charged all season long, weather i mow or not. I bill on a 4 week basis (Lose some to long months, but make it up in the fall or during a drought as it so happens) and they get charged the exact same amount no matter what. Everyone has been very positive about the change so far. I guess ill have to see what happens when the burning sun comes.

I know twotoros area well. I used to live in an area not too far from him. It sucks. We used to go rattle snake hunting for fun. It is even worse because it is a dry heat. Not like the humidity yall have down there. (I lived down south once too so i know what it is like) The worst days are the ones that it reaches 90-125 and there is NO WIND! And even if there was a wind, it would feel like a hair dryer hitting you constantly. I think that this sun will help solve some of our moss problems though. AND, i am more able to promote my aeration services becasue studies show that it can reduce your water bill by as much as 50%! (Assuming you water you lawn that is)

A friend approached me a couple of years ago telling me to get into water management landscapes. Rocks and cacti are what i thought of. I wish now that i had listened a bit more carefully.

I may even use sun block this year. Would hate to ruin a wonderful lawn season by getting cancer. Little things like that can really ruin a guys day.

Well, its about 4 am here and i am off to bed. I hope my small discertation was mildly helpful. 300 posts.....whew, and to think i talk this much in most of my replies, lol.

Have a good one yall,
    Acute Cut Lawn Care

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The past 3 years has been costly for my business. I dont think normal weather will ever return with this global warming thing going on. From now on there will just be alot of extremes. Too rainy, or too hot, or too dry, or too much snow or not any snow. And it will hit different parts of the country every year. Last year texas had a drought and heat wave. Central fla for the past few years and up to now are in a drought. The whole southeast has been in a drought for the past 4 years. Washington has been dry. Greenhouse gas trapped in the earths atmosphere is holding the heat in and causing the earth to warm ever so slightly every year and this is having a dramatic affect on the weather. We have always had extremes in weather. Its just that now the extremes are lasting longer.

10. Twotoros

I wish I could charge by the month but that will not fly here, money is too tight. I hope it will not be as bad as some are saying. There is a lot of ag here and the farmers need to keep their trees and fields alive. One thing it will do is get some people to water their residential property right. Since we pay a flat fee for water alot of people leave it on 24/7 to get their moneys worth. It is sad to see it running down the gutters all summer.