Drought + Heat = Doom!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Charles, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

First there was the below normal rainfall for the year and I was still doing ok mowing wise. Having a better than last year mowing season. Then the August heat wave + drought hit and things grounded to a halt. Makes you sick to your stomach. Then the weather God teases you with storms that go by you and storms heading right for you that just don't quite make it:cry:
    The phone has been ringing with cancellations. No rain in site and September is the last big month as the grass slowly stops growing.
    Just venting frustration. This happened last year without the heat wave.
    Anybody else still suffering drought? I see where Tennessee is in worse shape than we are

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I am in north east Mississippi. I feel for you. I sure picked a bad year to make my first year in the business. Only 7 accounts this season and lately I've cut on 1 or 2 of them in the month. It sure sucks

3. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

Dry as a bone in Mass...everything is dry as a bone and trees are losing their leaves prematurely due to stress. It sux.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have just endured the worst summer I have ever been threw. It started raining last month but the damage has been hard to overcome with the few clients I have left. I am as broke this month as I usually am in the dead of winter!

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya I feels yall pain. I know some state are worser off than us. We are moving toward severe drought status here too. Lots of leaves falling. The thing is there are so many LCOs that the leaf biz will suck too

6. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

No rain here also. This had been a very bad year.. I've been doing this for 17 years...

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

same here.got some the other day on my yard but not on any of the others.they still saying we are behind 22''.

8. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

I've got like 24 yards in one place they has got rain the last 2 saturdays.. This past SAturday they got 1 inch of rain. Grass it Real green there.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

It has rained everyday afternoon this week!! Grass is green again!

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear your plight in the SE. Up here is opposite this year. I could put all of our customers on a 5 day cutting rotation it is growing so fast. Half of the lawns are getting double cut it seems. Hate to say it, but ya probably need a cane to turn into a tropical depression to come through and bring that much needed rain it sounds.