drought in midwest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jakes mowing, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

anybody on here from southern illinois? how has the drought been affecting your buisness? i know i havent mowed in about 4 weeks. its getting ridiculous, no rain since the middle of may and 100+ temps almost everyday

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Sure are alot of threads already asking the same thing. My only answer is, diversify!

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Poor conditions for sure for many. Same here but we got 1.75" of rain last night so that helps. Probably follow that up with 4 weeks of no rain again.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

We haven't had a good rain in about 6 weeks. Coupled with 100+ degrees temps nearly every day, we're in bad shape. Luckily 2/3rds of my lawns are irrigated, though I skipped an irrigated lawn today, as well as large areas of others. Also have customers with water wells going dry, so they're not watering any more. There's a slim chance of rain over the next couple days, if we miss out on that, we will be in BAD shape.

I farm part time too, and to sum it up simply, if we miss this next rain, there WILL NOT be non-irrigated fall crops this year. A lot of people that grew corn have already had it chopped for silage to feed to cows.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You are right on with the farm crop situation KS.
    City dwellers, prepare to pay up for your food.