Drought in the South East

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 8, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How is this affecting everyone? I'm getting just enough rain to keep it green and growing a little right now. But I have had to skip a few. The grass is definitely showing signs of stress. I've picked up a job or two because other LCO's were mowing five times a month during the drought and turning the grass brown.
  2. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

havent mowed in two weeks, we got some scattered rain earlier this week so im gonna try to get back at it this afternoon, we still need ALOT more rain everything is brown down here
  3. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

It was getting bad here in southeastern Va, but had about 3.5 inches so the a lot of the brown is gone. However, it is 97 degrees today with 10-15 mph wind, with no clouds to speak of. I feel that we are getting just the minimum also, hopefully we will have some good thunderstorms today and tomorrow and get another 3 inches, that would be nice.......
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We got about 5 inches last week which helped some but need more. Its supposed to thunderstorm tonight
  5. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

it thundered yesterday afternoon,,,but not a drop. i'm down a mower so i'm kind of glad things aren't going too fast.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm hoping it stays dry ... get rid of some of the rift raft around here
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting....works the same way in our area..
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

up here we get rid of em Steve only to have new ones appear again and again :laugh:
  9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

We just had the driest May on record here. We are 11 inches behind schedule for the year for rainfall. Haven't mowed in 2 1/2 weeks. But I'm like the other guys it does get rid of these fly by night lawn services. I'm seeing more and more mowers for sale in the local sale paper. We had a record March and April but May was a disaster. It don't look so good for the next week either. Maybe we will be mowing into January?
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It was really bad two weeks ago but the tropical storm gave us much needed rain and has seemed to jump started our rainy season (knock on wood)