1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

drought + lawn apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 2, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Has anybody else experienced dry soils for the past couple months? Clay soil & sunny lawns have cracks up to one inch wide. Most homeowners refuse to water, but they sure know how to weedeat down to the dirt.

Anybody having problems killing difficult weeds when they're nearly dormant?

How about giving up trying to spot spray crabgrass or foxtail due to dormancy?

Anybody causing brown tracks with ride-on sprayers or mowers?

Anybody suspending app's until you get rain?

Have you switched to an ester herbicide for more efficient weed control?

Do you search for a "crack" to place your lawn flag?

rscvp, thanks

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of Fert are you putting down when its dry like this? I am always afraid of cooking the lawn when its so hot and dry, but as I continue to add customers I am going to have no choice but to keep applying to stay ahead.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

drop down to a LOW N fert...

Have you tried a vinegar herb? It works like roundup so you have to be careful, but it is suppose to basically explode the cells on the leaves or something like that. I am unsure if it will work with dormant/half dormant weeds.

Like I said, it is nonselective so care should be taken. I have never used it but I hear it works well...

I may be way off... just a thought...

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I continue to apply the same fertilizer with advice to the customer to irrigate if and when possible. I also continue to spot spray for weeds using extreme caution. I won't spray severely drought stressed lawns. You get good control with less product in higher temps ( in most cases).At least that is what I have found. I don't know about the Mid West but around here I would never use an Ester formulation in hot,dry conditions. You'd do more harm than good.JMO

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Most friendly competitors are also spraying "weed & feed" now cuz it's time to spray the new crop of dandies , and no one has a financial choice not to get the app's down.

We finally found a liquid fert that does not 'tip burn' turf (NutraFlow). I think it's a 16-2-6?? (not at the office now). Our large lawns are being treated with a 34-3-12 LESCO granular slow release fert plus UAP's 'mecamine-D' using a "TURFCO T3000". This ride-on currently treats more than twice what our average " hose puller" treats. (no brainer for us to buy a 2nd TURFCO unit this winter).

But knotweed & spurge along the curbs almost always requires an ester herb. Tough deal. We keep missing out on significant rainfall. Go figure when thousands of homes were destroyed this spring from record rainfall.

6. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a 33-0-7 blend that is 96% slow release. Only spot spraying weeds and crabgrass as needed. Lawns that have been irrigated are in great shape with only a few weeds, especially some nutsedge.

7. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

We are small enough here in KC that we are delaying the start of are fall rounds till we get some significant rainfall. We might make a decision to severly water down the nitrogen. Instead of two gallons per M we might go to four or five.

Matt

8. americanlawn

from midwest

I did the same thing years back (having to wait until late September until the rains came), but we have no choice. A close friend of mine (Delaware) is also delaying app's. Tough deal -- affecting much of this Country.

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

luckily we have been getting hit with these hurricanes, well, getting the rain. My county is the only county that is not under a complete watering ban and that is because we have a nice sized lake right in the middle of it, plus our county surprisingly enough was smart enough to start building resevoirs all over for just this reason.

10. americanlawn

from midwest

Sometimes we get the remnents of hurricanes, but so far...nothing. So I request a prayer for rain from you. No need to type -- just say one. Can't hurt. Thanks. :usflag: p.s. even our dandelions are going dormant. :laugh: