1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drought Overseeding Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

The drought this year has destroyed a lot of lawns in this area, and I anticipated great opportunities for overseeding this fall. The problem is that watering restrictions are getting more stringent with no relief in sight.

I have a hard time selling overseeding services if my customers can't water as needed for proper germination. The results will not be good, and customers will be upset with no change in the look of their lawns.

Has anyone found a way to address these issues? I feel explaining the problem to the customer will probably only result in a "wait until next year" response........which by the way might not be a bad approach......although not a very profitable one for now.

Any thoughts???!!!
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

In the same pickle here. On some which I just acquired this season and are in dire need of some help, I may upsell telling them what they may expect and see if they bite. Summer is ending and I have a feeling that the rains will be coming as they are now. As for established lawns I may just upsell the benfits of aerating and not seed at all. As for them not getting what they expected...I aerated and overseeded my own lawn last fall where I had removed 3 trees and had bare soil from being shaded completely out. I really don't irrigate as I am on a well. With nature as the guide I got some germination last season, but you wouldn't believe what came up in the spring and has survived all summer long with no irrigation. Those seeds got covered in the aeration hole...held overwinter and when the pring rains came so did the grass!
  3. Westbrooklawn

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

fall seeding is the only thing i believe in where i live. unless u got sprinkler system. i do it if the customer wants it but i tellum its a long shot.
  5. I had lots scheduled but am putting them off to spring-if we can water next spring.
    When chances are you wont get good results best to be up front and pass on the $ now and keep the customer comming back.

Looks like you have the right idea- I dont see a better solution
    We just have to do other work this fall
  6. Westbrooklawn

I completely agree that fall seeding is the only way to go, and that is what I was suggesting when I said wait until next year......fall of 2003!!

The only exception is if a customer has irrigation he can use, and then I will consider spring seeding. Again.... a lot depends on continued water restrictions.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree witgh u also. im not sure if i will do much this yr. . as always ,depends
    on the favorable conditions.. we are getting some rain now. i had hoped it would be a soaker ,but not yet .