Drought Policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,

I'm meeting with my attorney tomorrow and i was wondering what you guys do about droughts. How do you pay your employees? Do you still charge?

Thanks,

Adam

2. Adam's Lawn and Garden

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Set your accounts up right.
    Mow less.
    Push other sales.
    Collect the same $$$$ from monthly accounts and some more $$$ from the extra work.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Contract pricing = same pay every month whether it's 1 cut or 5 cuts. A drought is beautiful, cause then you can do more profitable stuff besides just mowing...

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

this is tricky... i get alot of calls from people who dont like being charged when the lawn isnt even mowed ... they dont like it and want a company who wont charge if they dont mow. these arent pitas either... so i take em.

alot has to do with how you word it, or how its set up. most of the calls are from when a company just added that policy.. so they feel like they are being cheated.

but if from the start a new customer is sold the pitch of a simple monthly payment wether 5 or 1 mow... they are much more likely to be ok with it.

if i had too many accounts , or was looking to scale back, things like this are what i would do to help make my life easy/profitable. along with raising prices lol.

6. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I usually tell customers that if a drought comes about I will do other stuff like weeding or trimming ect. for the same amount of time it takes to mow thier yard. I haven't had any complaints. This policy has actually landed me additional accounts because customers feel taken when they aren't getting anything for thier money.

7. Adam's Lawn and Garden

so i am assuming that some of you guys do a yearly payment plan? Do you divide it by 12 months or the seasons months. With my size i have come tothe conclusion that it won't be profitable to do that.

thanks,
    adam