Drought relief coming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLCS, Aug 8, 2005.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

According to NOAA, rain likely from Teusday night through next Monday. I heard possible 5-7" worth for northern Illinois and eastern Iowa. Wow wouldn't that be nice. :blob3:
  2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I just checked the forcast and I don't have a clue what you are looking at?

How does the corn/beans up there look? Things aren't too bad but could be better. Farmers are talking 150 bushel/acre around here but I heard it is pretty bad up there.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

We missed the big one by inces :realmad:
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard forecast on the way home today and they had backed the 40% chance for wed. down to 20%. WQAD out of moline is talking about the best chance for rain being Sunday. Way way to late for the corn here, bean pods are in the crapper too!! Not sure on prices, but the harvest looks to be pretty bad this year, at least around here. We are south of Iowa City by about 30 miles, maybe only about 1 6/10 " of rain over the last two months!! Lots of fun having to go out every two weeks or so and cut weeds. Add-on services are saving my backside right now, but need that dang rain.

5. DLCS

I look at the forcast discussion on Noaa's website for my area. Gives a little more detailed info. Actually the next 15 days are suppose to at or above normal precip. I guess we just have to see.

I don't think the farmers will get even close to 150 bushels per acre here, unless of coarse the field is irrigated. I've seen some corn fields where the ears are barely formed and the plant is about 75% dried up.
  6. DLCS

Yeh, I heard that it will be mainly south of highway 20 north of I-80 but you never know. I don't listen to WQAD too much, mostly i use NOAA.
  7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

we got some rain here the last full week of july ( bout 4 inches or so in one night) i would say that corn looks very decent it went from about 4 feet to 7 or8 some is even over 9 in about 3 weeks right after the fourth when it got humid ive heard estimates from 140-175 per acre the beans arent that bad but the kernals will be ungodly small look for prices to rise even though no one will have anything to sell