1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Drought to Worsen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 21, 2012.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

and if we don't, there's always Walmart. "Hello, welcome to Walmart, have a wonderful day" LOL "thank you for shopping at Walmart, have a great day" That's all you have to say when people walk in and out of the store. :laugh:

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed we will need a snowy AND cold winter this season. Humans may like it all warm and toasty and comfy but it is detrimental in so many other ways.

3. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

I try to pay attention to most everything weather related. Long range predicitions are always pretty "iffy" but I try to observe trends. Things can change in an instant, but I try to plan as best I can with as much information as I can collect. I catch all the local and national weather info and they do vary quite a bit, but you can identify some level of uncertainty that may help. We're so bad right now, that it will take a major event, or a whole lot of smaller events to make a dent in this situation.

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

5. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

do me a favor. take a glass of water, put some ice in it and mark the height, then let it sit, when the ice melts, check the mark. Water, takes up the same space whether in solid (ICE) form, or liquid form. this is in response to your response about the ice caps melting. LOL> interesting.

6. zechstoker

I hope that analogy was meant to be a joke. This is more along the lines of what he's talking about. When these "ice caps" or glaciers melt (see link below), water levels rise since this mass of ice is ABOVE the surface of the body of water.

http://www.willgoto.com/images/Size...Hammann1_ec096011b32c496391416c35c091c85c.jpg

7. zechstoker

Now that I re-read all of the above, I think my last comment was a bit off topic. I'd delete it I could, but since I can't... disregard that.

8. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

oh... my.... goodness.

why would Ice, that is floating on the top of the water, cause the water level to rise if melted??? ever heard of density? how does that have any meaning?

now, for the ice that isnt floating:

90% of the ENTIRE WORLD's ice is in Antarctica. (ice covered land mass)

If ALL of the ice in Antarctica melted, sea levels around the world would rise about 200 feet.

But the average temperature in Antarctica is -37C. Most parts of the entire continent never get above freezing.

thats the south pole, at the north pole, the ice floats on the Atlantic ocean, so the the sea levels are not affected.

9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, man, but our local Walmart has done away with greeters. They did so a couple of months ago. Now you have to duck under the storm curtains and get your own cart. What is funny is, I saw a guy go out the door one day, and the "Walmart security system activated." You know, the scanner that reads the chips in more expensive items. No one was there, so he just kept walking. I know it can happen, and has to me in the past, but something tells me from this guys looks and body language, that he was shoplifting.

10. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

it helped me, well put.