Drought Woes Continue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, May 11, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We got some rain the other day. But a large part of the county didnt get much of anything and its getting like a dust bowl in these areas. No rain in the forcast either. For much of last week they called for 50 to 70% chances of rain but as usual the weather guessers had no idea. I have no idea why the rain Gods are tortuing us like this. Maybe I shouldnt have f'demed and leftem in my younger days--payback time is a B***H LOL

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I mentioned in another post, if it wasn't for my yearly commerical accounts I would be in a world of hurt. It is also so dry down here. It seems drier this year than previous years. June is typicaly when our rain starts, let's hope so. I hate to see all the fires caused by drought. Hang in there.

3. Hello Everybody:

Sorry to hear you not getting rain?

It's the same here in Columbus, Georgia. They all talked about rain for days, sky stayed Dark, you could smell the rain in the air. Then Thundering like crazy & finally a very little rain. Not even 1/8 of an inch.

We've had maybe 1/2 inch total in about 2 months, Grass brown everywhere!

Lawn Service Companys are having a hard time here, I wish the South East would get at least a few inches, we need it so bad.

4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

No rain in a while around here, either, and it's starting to show. I live in a Mediterranean climate on the Central Coast, and it's been unseasonably hot lately to boot. After May, we don't get to see much rain, normally, until November again. I'll be mowing dirt by July. :(

-TGC

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

alright fellas lets get the 2 dollars in the plate on sunday
    better yet mabe three. we dry as a bone here

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's getting bad here in VA too. No rain in 3 weeks. Chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, but we'll see. I passed by 8 yards today.

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I passed by a customer last friday.the lawn was all brown and didnt need cut.guess what HE FIRED ME.

8. Alan

Alan Member

Bad here in Vermont too, no real rain in almost a month now and things are turning brown fast. I just put down 40,000 feet of hydro seeding and it was hard to get the coverage right, the slurry was disappearing in the dust.

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Charles i know what you mean. It was supposed to rain today but it went south the yds here are turning all brown, just the ones with sprinkles are cutable and there even dry. Man i was hoping for a season like last yr where it rained when needed. If we don't get rain in another week my schedule will be getting very thin. Marks Mowing Service

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's raining here now, and some more expected tomorrow, but one can never tell if it will actually come as predicted.

Things are definitely drier than last year. Last year it was like the rain was timed perfectly. It rained in the evenings and on Sundays. I want this year to be just like last year, but so far the rain hasn't been cooperating. We're just grateful for whatever rain we get.