Drought...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Nov 5, 2007.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are any of you guys hearing this drought in the Southeast may continue through next year?? They were talking about it on the news here in NC a few days ago. I know its bad here and for you boys down in GA, but I can't imagine this thing swinging over through the 2008 season.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i really hope not. and i doubt it.

3. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

i remember back in 05 when we had that drought in illinois that they said it was going to roll over into the next year. Granted there was a couple of months where it was drier than normal but nothing compared to drought standards. But you also have to remember a lot of plants and trees wont start showing drought effects until the next year and a half. The drought maybe gone but the effects will be there for a while.

4. WJW Lawn

Yea..Ive just got this drought hangover headache thats killin me! lol

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not looking good here in JOGA, it's on the news everyday and is on the news as I type this, its going to put some guys out of business for sure.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

If it does in fact go through next year like it is now...we literally WILL NOT have water. No flushing toilets, showers, drinking water, etc.

It's hurt my business this year really bad, but I could give a crap about my business if we run out of water.

7. WJW Lawn

Yea same here...though probably not as bad as you guys. Im just hoping it clears itself up this coming spring. Even a couple guys I know with yearly contracts are having issues.

I felt it getting bad this past Spring...and told my wife this year might get tough. She was positive about it and thought it would clear itself up by July. Obviously that didn't happen...but I know alot of you guys like me sensed this year wasn't quite right from the start.

When is Gary at Better Outdoor gonna make a rain machine?? lol

8. mowingpreacherman

mowingpreacherman LawnSite Member

I'm worried about starting up next year because of the drought.

We are supposed to have rain tonight, and I would be glad if it rained for two weeks straight so we could get caught up. And then some...

I will begin praying for rain for everybody! :p

9. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Seems that June was the worst month of the drought for us here around Logan Martin Lake---Central Alabama

Then July/August we got some good rains---afternoon thunderstorms---greened up what grass the drought didn't kill

Then the rain slowed down in mid September

Its as dry as Cotton here now---no rain in about 3 weeks

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

having the oppisite in Texas....

a roll of hay went down from 110.00 to 30.00...............

we have so much grass some people are giving it away...........