drought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Jun 14, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

okay fellas . we dont get this rain suppose to be coming and a lot more .
    wont be any salvaging this season.
    hate to be pessimistic ,but a bettin man would have to bet we wont get it. jus the way it goes. i know truck farmers around here ,plowing their stuff under,so they wont have to look at it.just the way it goes ,aint no body crying here..
    hurtin a little mabe

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Parts of Memphis got 6" yesterday in a very short amount of time. Lots of parking lots flooding within minutes. Thought about fishing in my back yard this afternoon. haha.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

:) im gonna head out there w some buckets. aint one thing its another. huh

4. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I feel your pain. I can't remember the last time we had rain. To go along with the lack of rain we have mostly praire soil in this area. The ground is so dry that it is cracking open. Even the people's yards with irragation systems that water properly are suffering because the ground is so dry.
    I was wondering. Does Author Murray give rain dance lessons?

5. Too late for rain here, its all on fire.

Funny thing is with mandatory watering restrictions most places everybody seems to be doing a better job of watering this year. Want somebody to do something just tell them they can't.

6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Tuesday I was digging a hole (chicken pit) with a backhoe I got down to about 4ft and could go no more. I went to the fire department and got the tanker put about 400gallons of water in that hole and was finally able to finish it wednesday.

7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

About a month ago, before this dry spell, the temperature dropped down to 40s & 50s. then it turns hot, with no rain....

I sure hate to see what July and August is going to be like.
    :angry: :help: :cry:

8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Cut a property yesterday evening that has a 1.5 acre pond on it. The pond is down almost 2 feet. If this drought keeps up they will be having to put training wheels on the catfish by the end of August.
    Scattered showers are forecasted for all week. Haven't seen any yet and don't expect to. Still looking for some rain dance lessons. My dance isn't working.

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Around these parts robins are getting thin. They are existing off of cherries, insects and whatever else they can scrounge up, however worms are hard to come buy in this sun baked land of Virginia . All mowing accounts are now on a 14 day schedule .

10. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I hear you all, I'm mowing irrigated lawns every 2 weeks and everyone else once a month. I have at least 10 clients that I haven't mowed in 7 weeks. I have had two clients cancel cause I cut their grass when it was dry and I hadn't cut in a month. We have some people in million dollar neighborhoods without water. Can't even flush their toilettes or take showers. All the ponds and lakes are almost dried up and everything is going to hell.