Drove a 2004 Kubota ZD 21 today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayfish, Mar 15, 2004.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at this for second ZTR. This one handles very well although I could not cut anything with it, I just drove it around the property. I liked the way it feels. The dealer offered it to me for $9900.00 at 0% financing for 36 months. Liquid cooled 3 cylinder, hydraulic deck lift, crank up front end , fabricated deck, very nice. What do you think of the price?

2. chunk

chunk LawnSite Member
    from SE Ohio

What size deck comes with that?
    Is that a diesel motor? That seems high for a gas powered unit.
    I'm in the market for a 60" ztr, but I hadn't looked at Kubota yet.

3. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

That is the price I paid for mine a year ago same financing as well. It is a great mower mine is diesel and has a 60in deck is that what your looking at? I think it is a good machine and worth the money.

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

It is a 21 hp diesel with a 60" deck. With that kind of financing, they probably won't come off the price much.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That price is a little high, at least for around here. You can get one here for about $9300.00. However, in my opinion, the Grasshopper midmount, 321D is a lot better machine, and it is even less expensive.:)

6. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There has been some discusion [read controversy] here , about the 21hp Kubota "Z"with a 60 inch mower. Some think that it doesn't have enough power , others are very satisfied with the 21 hp units performance. You can't possibly check it out to see if it's satisfactory for your needs for a few weeks yet.

While you are waiting for enough grass to grow so that you can personally demo a 21hp Kubota - how about checking out a Gravely 260 diesel.

The Gravely has a 27 hp , 3 cyl. Daihatsu diesel, so there should be no question that it has enough power to mow at enough speed, and in deep grass, up and down hills.

By the way, Gravely has a 14 mph ground speed, which is faster than 95% of all the other mowers out there. I don't believe any machine can actually mow well at that high speed - but it can be really handy if you need to transport quickly over a large property or even along the street to reach another lawn without using the truck to move it a short distance.

The Gravely also has hydraulic deck lift [like Kubota] , but it can also use this hydraulic power to lift the front of the unit up for under deck service instead of manually hand cranking it up for service.

The Gravely has a pivoting front axel that absorbs some of the rough ride that you can get at high ground speed, and you can lock up the front axel to get better stability on steep side hills. It also has an adjustable suspention seat to help the ride that is standard equipment. Many other brands get up to $500 extra for this seat.

Anyway, Gravely has a price of $9995 on this 27hp diesel machine, with a 60 inch fabricated mower deck.

They also presently have 12 months same as cash financing for it. The advantage for you is that you MAKE NO PAYMENTS, and PAY NO INTEREST for one whole year. While this is not 3 years long as the Kubota plan is, it certainly is an advantage to be able to not have to make any payment at all for this time, and to not be charged any interest either.

I apologize for posting off subject like this, but since you were unsure about the Kubota , I thought you should know that there is a possible alternative machine with many of the same features, but more power, and speed , for about the same price, - and they are a sponsor here also !

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Grashopper is not even in the same league as Kubota.The Hopper uses a Kubota motor but thats it. And the way the Hopper drives the pumps and deck with all those twisted belts coming off the back of the engine is just a joke. I tested a Grasshopper before I bought my ZD21 2 years ago. The dealer here was asking $500 more for the Hopper than the Kubota dealer.w

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Had the ZD21 and sold it at a big lost just to dump it. new $9200+ tax, 60 hrs later sold it for $8000 underpowered with a 60 inch deck and so is the hopper with the same engine and the 61 in deck. If your gonna buy the "bota" get the ZD28 you won't be sorry.

Mac

10. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

We payed around that for our 60" exmark xp and that is a 27hp L/C diesel not a 21. I agree with olderthandirt go with the 28hp if any thing because believe or not we can sometimes bog our 27hp down! I would definetly look around some more! I suggest an exmark because you get a proven machine, a proven engine, and a ton of great factory accsessories like baggers!

Ed