Drove my first ZTR today. Couple Questions!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Well test drove my first ZTR today. Its a 19 hp bobcat. It was very easy to control but I noticed it made a squealing noise when turning. He said it was normal and Ive heard it before on bobcats and such but i'm wondering what its caused by? This was a well used 2003 but it was still pretty nice. I'm purchasing a 2006 ZT-219. Also does anyone have any driving tips? I real a little bit about driving on here and I had no problem keeping both wheels turning as to not cause donuts in the turf. Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers
    Jeff

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

most hydros will make a squeeling noise, some of the higher grade ones don't. from a cold start up, my broadmoor makes a bit of a squeel when i first move, then nothingfor the rest of the day, i was also told this is normal, and the manual states it too. but turning?, i can't immagine why it would do that, someone with a ZTR can further assist you.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Thanks. I mean its just a squeeking and I know ive heard it on this like bobcats and backhoes but im just wondering what the cause etc is. Ill see what the ZTR owners have to say.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

My Phazer does that too and I was wondering the same thing. It sounds as if something isn't right. It does seem to be noticeable more at start-up when it's cold but it does do it all the time.. I was going to call my dealer but if it's normal... Anyone else own a Phazer who could add some input?

Thanks

Mark

5. Lynden-Jeff

Well the dude at the store made perfect sense that its the hydraulic pumps going from fast to slow real fast. I just wanted to get a second option and maybe some more info. Now that I think about it if you stand near a big bucked loader (I call them a steam shovel) you can hear the same noise its just not as noticeable because of the big diesel engine.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking as an LCO and a technician at a bobcat dealer, the dealer hit the nail on the head.
    Good luck with the new ZTR-219!!

What size deck did you get?

7. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Its a 52" deck. I was going to go with the zt-223 but its more money which I could use on anything and they said I woulden't notice a difference unless I ran it full speed with a bagger. They said I could still use a bagger but I might notice a little difference but being a new drive it probably won't be an issue at all. I also figure its better on gas to!

Cheers
    Jeff