drove through a Fence!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrystalCreek, Apr 10, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, here is the story. I have two houses side by side. The fences in the back are off set, just enough to fit my walker through. Houses back up to a small river. Now, in the fall, we blow some of the leaves into the small wooded area above the stream. Yeah, I know it's wrong, but customer don't mind. Well at the end of the season last year, I plowed the leaves and branches over the edge. Cleaned up the area. Well now the customer wants to start a compost pile in this area. Asks me to dump a walker load or two of grass to get it started. Great, Less grass to take away. Well went to dump the first load today, and the area I plowed last year, started to slide into the river. I quickly slammed the drive forward, and slipped. My sweatshirt catches on something and the machine drives forward, dragging me. My face is inches away from the turning tire. Machine catches solid ground and slams right through the stockade fence, still dragging me. I reach with everything I had in me, and finally stop the mower, about six inches from the foundation of the customer's house. Customer saw the hole thing. She ran out to see if I was OK, which I was. Now I go and check on the fence, and only the screws pulled out of the post. A screwdriver and a couple of screws and all was fixed. She came out with a beer, and I had my first beer on the job, ever. Called it a day and went home. Tomorrow I will try to get the mower into someones living room.;)

2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh:im sure its happened to a few more man. I was riding my velkie (metro 48) and about 4 summers ago i was getting stung like twice a day by yellow jackets. WEll needless to say one stung my leg and i grabed the left hand break and swated it with my right and BAM right through a fence. ha so dont worry bout it just fix it.

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to here your ok. Just goes to show accidents can happen anywhere anytime.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I wish you had it on video. 10 years ago we mowed a huge apartment complex and there was this retired guy who would stand at his patio window in just his fruit of the looms and watch us. Every week this went on for like 3 months. Finally one day a buddy of mine was so sick of it he drove a 36" scag right through the glass door blades engaged and all. The guy got kicked out by management, my buddy kept his job, but had to pay for a new door. Sorry to jack your thread, but I had to get it out of me.

5. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had this on video, I would win the "here's your sign award" for sure

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Your buddy did this on purpose because some guy like to watch him cut the grass? I find that alot of people find our equipment fascinating. Also, lots of old people don't seem to care if you see them in their underwear.

7. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ever put your z-turn in a pond? Dont ask!!!:hammerhead:

The fish looked as shocked as me.:eek:

8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

This dude watched us in a creepy way. We had complained to management previously, he even had the cops called on him. It was right by a pool with people around it all the time, and lets just say he was happy occasionally.

9. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I would need a change of underware after that one:eek:

10. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, i had this tricky account. i was going slightly downhill and my back wheel on my ztr got caught up and turned my front end straight downhill towards a retaining wall drop and then the house was right afterwords. so i tried turning again and slid down and was just able to put the parking brake on before i went over the retaining wall. i had to get the neighbors house and he towed my ztr out with his truck...i was so embarrased. it was my first day doing that account too. it's still the trickiest account i have..