drug tests?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mjohnson1, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

just something i thought of after reading the "do you give employees tests" topic in another forum. how many of you guys give pre-hires drug tests? if not is it the cost, time involved, or because they would all fail?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well in some area's of the country that would do away with helpers. Just ask if they are an American citizen and if they nod up and down or side to side hire them. Most of the manual labor workers around here wouldn't pass many test.
  3. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

We started drug testing five years ago. One of the best decisions we ever made. The quality of employees we have now is night and day from before. We do a pre-hire test, one after any accidents, and also have a random test from time to time.

When someone calls looking for a job we tell them they have to pass a drug test and have a valid drivers license and ss#. It is amazing how many then don't show up to fill out the application. It saves a lot of wasted time on our part.

I also make a point of letting prospects know when I am meeting with them that we do the drug testing. It helps to develop the level of professionalism and confidence in our company.
  4. mountain man

That's an insane comment. If thats the case then I would work solo before I hire them. Our job is high risk enough to not have to worry about somoene being impaired. If they cause an accident - you the business owner/company are liable. Is it worth losing everything you've worked for just to hire the first person that nods their head?
  5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i think drug testing would work great if so many young kids today did not do drugs...a lot of help in this area are younger kids, and seeing that i am one i have many friends who do some sort of drug..not that i do at all b.c i have friendships go wrong directions and ive worked to hard to have what i have now...

funny b.c a friend asked me if he could combine lawns and be partners, i told him i would under a few things....1)he showed up everyday even if it was raining 2) he would shovel when i plow a drive way 3) he would get a pay check not 25% of the money we make 4) he would have to stop doing drugs and stop the parties..funny b.c he never said anything to me again about it....he knows the biz and is a biz major in college but idunno what part he couldnt handel im thinking it was #4
  6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

here is my take on it. heroin, coke, pcp, etc. - bad and you can tell, forget hiring them. pot and or alcohol can be bad, but if they show up on time, work hard while they are there and don't do it while working, i don't care what they do on their own time.
    coke/crack, etc are pretty easy to detect if you watch a person's behavior. pot and booze are easy to detect by smell.

by no means do i think drug or alcohol abuse is good or acceptable, but as long as it does not effect work performance, again, what you do at home does not concern me, unless it effects myself, my family, or my business.

some people choose to smoke a joint at the end of the day just as you may choose to have a couple of beers. it is illegal and i do not support it, but again, if an employee chooses to do that on his own time, i don't think it is any worse than having a few beers.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We only drug test if there's an injury and at time of hire, but if a guy is noticably acting strange and it's affecting their job performance it's costing you money. THAT is a problem! Drug testing results are at your mercy. We don't look negatively on marijuana simply because no one has ran over a litlle girl or stuck their fist in their mouth yet. LOL. But alchohol is deemed as a negative substance and we won't keep a guy that has a continuous BAL or (Blood Alchohol Level).
  8. mountain man

If an employee causes a major accident or even worse a death, then there will be major litigation and one of the first things the opposing attorney is going to ask for is blood alcohol level and the results of the drug test. They will sue everyone they can to get every last nickel. If they can prove that you as the business owner were aware of an employee's use and tolerated it, then they are going to have a field day in court. One contractor I read about a few years ago had an employee drinking and then go out and kill several people in a company vehicle. They proved he was aware of the employee's drinking problem and still allowed him to drive the company's trucks. The lawsuit used up all is insurance, he lost his business, and also will have future wages garnished. Last I heard he was getting sued again because he had his wife go out and work and he was staying at home with the kids so he would not have to pay out a portion of his wages.
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a good point. if i begin hiring people i'll have to remember it. since i work solo now, let them take hair, blood, brethalyzer, whatever because it'll come back clean. but i do thank you for making me think of this as if i keep going the way i am, i'll probably be hiring in the next year or two.
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Guys like the ones you mentioned that allow workers to drive company vehicles while they have been drinking/using drugs and knew about it deserve to get sued and have their lives ruined. I would ruin that guys life too if he got in a vehicle and killed my family or friends