Drug Use In The Green Industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrbenfer, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

As I become more familiar with the green industry I have been associated with countless individuals who smoke marijuana on a regular basis. Some who will do anything they can get their hands on.

I'm sure this isnt anything new to the industry, how does it effect you?

Do you drug test before hiring?
    Would you hire someone who smokes marijuana?

2. AutoKing

AutoKing LawnSite Member

I wouldn't hire anyone that does drugs. Too many things could come up missing and be at the pawn shop. By the same token I don't want to hire someone with a drinking problem. Drugs and alcohol create social problems that don't need to be in my business.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

They won't work for me.

Of course in the last month I bought about 8 grand in equpment for 2 grand for a guy who needed to score.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no.

there are some members on LS that use drugs and say so openly.

I say neither are a good idea. JMO.

GEO

5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

yea i bet they have a hard time layin down nice straight stripes after a big ol doobie

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I hired my cousin a year ago, turned out to be a daily smoker. I tried to keep my thoughts that what he does after work is his own business, but he lit up once on my tailgate, at a customers house while eating lunch:angry: :angry: it takes alot to piss me off, but that did it. Gave him a couple of days to redeem himself after i gave him a good ripping. He proceded to "borrow" hand tools that would turn up "lost". yadda yadda yadda........ that was the last time I spoke to him.

Also, you have to be careful, cuz here in NY, if you're caught with anything in your truck, yours or not, they impound your truck (car), and if you happen to be working, all your tools, so be careful.that would be one exspensive "fattie".

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

right on auto king!!!

anybody who does drugs or alcohol should NEVER be hired.

8. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Around here its expected of someone in there late 20's or mid 30's that are this industry to use drugs. If I were a labor worker in this industry at that age I would be a pot head too.

Personaly I could care less about marijuana or drinking as long as they dont come to work messed up. Other drugs I would have a problem with.

Marijuana is not addicting and would not lead to steeling to support there habbit, I mean they are working and earning their own money.

9. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I think some of you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that your employees aren't doing this type of thing. From what I've seen working around pot smokers I wouldn't say they were more likely to steal anything. I would say they are more likely to miss work or be forgetful.

I have had some high paying factory jobs in the past and have heard some interesting stories about how these guys beat thier drug tests. There is a reason that some smart people will work for less money (because they can't pass a drug test.)

For the record I drink beer but do not use any drugs.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--according to your DOB listed in your profile, todays date, and some un-controlled substance influenced rudimentary math, I have determined that you are 18 years old.

at 18 years old, I am not in denial about the possibility that you could offer valuable insight into the discussion at hand.

however, after reading what you posted above, I gotta ask: are you stupid?

again, at the ripe old age of 18, I gotta question your judgment regarding you stated opinion on POT or booze. especially since it'll be almost three years since you can buy a legal beer.

nor does it lead to proficiency in spelling and grammar.

GEO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.