Drum Cutter

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GMUGNIER, Dec 9, 2005.

1. GMUGNIER

GMUGNIER LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone out there could tell me who make the best Drum cutter/mulcher for land clearing - I am looking for a attachment for my Cat 287B-XP Hi flow - I would like the ability to basically put a attachment on and mow down trees/underbrush up to 10-12 inches and make mulch or fine wood chips out of the underbrush. In the past I have always used trackhoes and dozers to do this - however I felt adding the 287B to my tool list would enable me to do this without mobilizing all of my heavy equipment - all feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gus

2. StoneStacker

StoneStacker LawnSite Member
    from OR

Gus,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of mulching heads out there so it would be good to get as much input as possible as well as trying a few. There are many guys clearing brush here in Oregon as I see them all over and on trailers. I would look into some sort of screen kit for your CAT because I was talking to a gentleman who owns a 287 that said the intake by the side of the machine behind the cab pulls in massive amounts of junk (bark, grass, leaves, etc.) that constantly causes his machine to overheat. He loves his CAT, but wishes it had more engine hp. He notices a definite drag in power when he is turning and lifting his loader arms, and his head recovery time is slow. He uses a Fecon.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The ASV RC100 would be an ideal piece with 100 HP, but since you already have a 287, that's kind of out. I second getting a screen to cover the side vents, I guess they can clog things up nicely. I've never had a problem with dust but I imagine with larger debris it could be a real issue.

4. GMUGNIER

GMUGNIER LawnSite Member

Stonestacker - does this guy you know have the A or the B version of the 287? and does he have the Hi-Flow 287 as well as the Hi-flow Fecon? I really appreciate the info.

Thanks

Gus

5. GMUGNIER

GMUGNIER LawnSite Member

One more thing I forgot to ask - who makes the screens for the intake? and second Is it neccessary to add additional thickness to my polycarbonate door? If so is there a company that makes inserts for the 287?

Thanks

Gus

6. StoneStacker

StoneStacker LawnSite Member
    from OR

Gus,

I'm not aware of anyboday that makes a screen for the side of his machine as he does not have one yet. I would just recommend one after listening to him, and knowing where the intake to the engine bay is. He does have the high flow, and I think Fecon only makes high flow mulching heads. I do agree with Scag48 that the RC-100 would be the best bet for mulching. I see them the most out here. I did talk to an RC-100 owner who just switched from the high flow Bobcat and he said the T300 couldn't mulch it's way out of a paper bag no hp, overheated too easy, and engine stalled when the head was loaded down. As I said earlier, this guy was happy with his 287. He just wished it had more hp. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The 287 will handle the job, it just won't be as fast as an RC 100, but it won't burn fuel as fast either. As far as the screens for the side intakes, you could fab some up and make it a custom deal, that's about your only option at this point. For the front door, you could have someone fab some metal bars on the front, much like forestry machines to keep decent sized debris from busting out your window. Other than that, high flow is awesome and you shouldn't have any problems with your machine.