Drum Type Aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Sep 27, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I did a search on this is and did not find what I was looking for.

I am in the market for a tow behind aerator. I have looked at one at my local JD dealer. It has about 32 spoons. The problem is that the spoons are blunt and not sharp. It seems to me that this would not be very affective.

Is anyone using an aerator like this? Can I get some recommendations that won't break the bank?

Thanks

2. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Just purchased a GPC Metal Products 48" tow behind "true core" unit. 60 spoons on the 48". The spoons had a "blunt" end and did not penetrate the hard clay soil we have in Kansas. I used an angle grinder and sharpened each spoon. Works much better. Works best when the turf is moist. Doesn't consistently pop out the plug but does penetrate 2"+ leaving a hole about 1" in diameter. So far I'm happy with the unit although my experience with aerators is very limited.

3. Good tip for a rainy day project.

Just don't fall off your machine and have that thing run over your
    azz.

4. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thks Lawrence,

With the weight of the drum, if i fall off and it runs me over, sharp may feel better than dull blunt pressure!:D

5. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Well I have decided that I will not be purchasing a drum type. I rented one today. It sucked. Tore up the ground instead of aerating it. My Agri-fab does better. I looked at the Ryan today, $2500 is a bit much for a tow behind. It looks like a solid unit though.

I think for a tow behind you must have independent spokes for each set of spoons. I have modified my Agri-Fab so that I have two sets of spoons for each spindle. This makes turning easier. The problem is that it is not going to last much longer. I have welded on it to keep it together. It is about to plug last hole.

I also rented the Ryan 19” walk behind today. I was impressed with it. Much better than the Blue Bird.

Thanks for the replies but I think my mind is made up. No barrel aerator for me.

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

check the lesco line, inexpensive , built well, perform well .

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Funny you should post about lesco Strickdad. I finally got fed up with my Agri-fab aerator and bought a new Lesco yesterday. It is the tow behind model. It was about 1200.00 less than the Ryan tow behind. It looks just like the Classen. I understand it is the same with the Lesco name on it.

I am now saving my pennies for the Lesco split drive.

8. Have you demoed an aeravator yet? Try one out, you won't be sorry you did.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

jnjnlc: Yes Classen makes the Lesco aerators and paints them green. Below is a picture of mine after I set it up so you can use the wheels as gauge wheels. The lawns I do have well and septic fields and they are not supposed to irrigate the septic areas and they get hard. This creates hard areas where the septic fields are and soft areas where they irrigate and most of my lawns have underground fences. This is why I use the wheels to keep it from going too deep when I have lots of weight on to make it penitrate the hard areas.

I let the spoons down on a hard surface and put 2" under each wheel and marked where to drill a whole and I also did this at 3" so I can now use the wheels to keep it at these depths. I thought this might help you and others that own this aerator.

[​IMG]

A rear view of it while aerating at 2"

[​IMG]