1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dry Bones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stormchaser, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Stormchaser

Stormchaser LawnSite Member

Haven't posted too much here but have been reading and learning. Situation here is marital breakup and after the court fight, virtually nothing left. I understand the value of good equipment but when the bucks aren't there, you don't start with it.

I have received basically throw-away mowers, couple of 21 inchers and now a 32" Bunton commercial that has been sitting 2 yrs. waiting for a valve job, plus junk blowers and trimmers, but the best thing of all is that they are free or close to it. I will have the use of a 50 incher when I get a trailer for it. No doubt many will consider me the ultimate low-baller but ya gotta start someplace.

Anyway, I know how to do a good flyer due to experience in helping my brother in his carpet cleaning business. Designed a good one and started getting it out the other day. No calls, couldn't understand 'cause I knew the flyer was good. Then I figured it out, duh, no rain. Grass around here crunches like dry bones it's been so long without rain. I figured established companies may not be hurting too bad 'cause of montly contracts-they still cut (weeds still grow). But not so good for the new guy starting out-no grass grow-no money flow.

So I'm going to hang tight and wait for rain. Not sure what else to do but open for comments.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Clean carpet maybe?
  3. Check out the rental yards. Find something you want to run and go sell yourself on that equipment to someone.
    Lots of stuff has to wait for dry weather. My cousin has a Bob Cat that's been setting all spring, waiting for it to dry out so he can get some work done.

If you're just starting mowing this time of year, I think you'd have a hard time getting lawns. It seems like everybody wants to talk to you in May, when you're the busiest.

Sorry to hear about your break up. From here on life gets a little better every day. (been there, done that) At least my ex left me the lawn equipment or there would have been a REAL fight. (LOL)

4. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't expect to get very many (if any) lawns, this time of year. Not just because of the dry weather but due to the fact that most people already have "their guys" for the year. This industry is so saturated with LCO's that even in the beginning of the cutting season it's not easy finding customers. Good luck!!
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Dry grass? Add irrigation installs to your flyer. :D
  6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I am still getting new customers almost every week (got 4 more this week). Do quality work and you current customers will refer you.

Beg them to hook up their water hose to a sprinkler and WATER their yard!!
  7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

sorry i ment to put this on new tread.