Dry creek bed in front of Brick house?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jasonlandscape, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

hey i posted pics of house on other thread called "ideas for this simple brick house"

well i've been coming up with other ideas and i was thinking of doing a dry creek bed with a japeneese maple and some mondo grass, crape and a bunch of smaller plants with just a few taller plants some Nana Hinoki Cypress lol or plants like it

i want it to look clean and open yet very exciting and colorfull. not just a bunch of green shrubs.

bassicly i don't just wanna do the normal foundation shrubs that you gotta prune and shape all the time.

anyway is a dry creek bed ok in front of a brick house? just some freeform design coming out of the wall and folowing the side walk going thru the stairs and continueing down past the big magnolia.

who knows, i'm just trying to do somethin thats not gonna be boring and plain. i haven't had much design experience but i can come up with ideas all day long
  2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Your dry creek bed can double as a rain garden to filter the rooftop runoff. I don't see gutters and downspouts in your photos, so if it ever does rain in Georgia again, you will need some way to handle the rain water. A dry creek can require maintenance if the weeds start to sprout through the rock, so be cautious of that.

3. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

heres one I did a couple of years ago. The bench wasn't my idea.

4. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

do u have more pics?
  5. TPnTX

yeah sure do

river bed 4.jpg

6. TPnTX

couple more

river bed 2.jpg

river bed 3.jpg
  7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey what ever you do remoe that sidewalk and replace with a more flowing design especially one that sill stay further from the tree roots that seem to be heaving it. I would like to sea a picture that shows the yard and road from the house because it looks to me like the house sits lower than the road. As far as a dry river bed what might be really cool it to create a river bed with a slow trickle of whater that goes to a basin or pond. The rain garden Idea is another cool idea especially if you are in an area that gets a good rain fall each year.