Dry creek bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Henry, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I need to make a dry creek bed in an area that is all mulch right now but turns into a stream during heavy rains. The stream pools up in a low spot before it eventually drains out down the side of the property.

I was thinking of just raking out the mulch, digging out a trench to contain it better and covering the area with 3" river jacks.

Any suggestions?
  2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I like to lay down filter cloth under the river rocks. You can use several different sizes of riverstone (1" to 6") to make it look more natural. Add some large boulders and driftwood, it really adds to the look. Plant things that like damp feet such as marsh marigolds, hostas, pseudocouris iris, ferns, some ornamental grasses or bulrushes. A small foot bridge across the riverbed looks great too. Foot bridge can be made of wood or a large flat rock.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

That's the ticket!

Especially getting a few different sizes of stone in there. I don't know what 'river jacks' is, but I would imagine it's a rounded stone, with varying color, judging by the name.

Mix some 3/4", 1 1/2", 2-4", 4-6", 6-8", with some larger boulders at the sides. It'll create an attractive, natural look.